• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shedding

Kimmisue

Ok I have to ask..
How long does the shedding last? I had no idea such a small dog could loose so much hair every day.. and still have more left icon_yikes

Do you have and suggestions . Reggie is brushed daily ..but the house is covered daily.

Looking forward to your advice.

I keep a sheet on my couch and at the end of the day I just throw it in the wash. It is so much easier than using a lint brush.
Melanie

How old is he? He could be shedding his puppy coat which will come off with LOTS of hair, if anywhere between 1 year to 2 years. Some dogs really shed the coat. Neither of mine seem to have it happen dramatically at all though, that said -- they are going on two and their coats are coming in veeeery slowly. Only now is Jaspar really looking unkempt!!

I find my cats shed more than the cavaliers but maybe their line doesn't lose a lot of coat...

icon_msnthinking

Thank you for the information.. Reggie is 7 months old and losing his puppy coat.
Glad to hear that it is normal and maybe ,...... it may be better later.

;)

Thanks again

Hate to tell you this but Maxx is 6 and has shed daily since he was about 5mths old. Most people I know who have Cavs have the same problem.

Only advice I can offer is get a good vacuum that is specially designed for pet hair and a good pair of extra strong rubber gloves. The gloves will remove hair from furnishings better than anything - just stroke it firmly and it will all come off :D

Molly sheds a little every day, not tremendously, though. I brush her every evening while we watch the news on TV. It has become her special time with me, and she loves it. She tends to shed a little more than usual the day or two just following her bath. I think the daily brushing keeps it under control.

I think 1) you need to have some context for shedding and 2) it depends on the individual dog (I believe tris and b&ts have heavier coats and thus tend to shed more too).

On 1) -- I have cats that shed far more, and grew up with a pyrenees that shed all the time and we were just used to it. To me, cavs are pretty moderate shedders compared to a lot of breeds and also, they don't have that spiky short hair like pugs or labs, that can really get into furnishings etc and be hard to get out.

On 2) -- some dogs just seem to shed a lot more -- maybe it depends on climate too. Don't know.

I have a good Siemens small vacuum that is good at getting up hair; not an expensive one either. My house is small though and outside of area rugs I have wood and tile floors so those are easy to keep clean. That said the bags fill so quickly with hair (cat hair mostly!). I'd think about a Dyson Animal next to get some really good suction too. Must see if they will do a discount for the press! :lol:

Too right they should give you a discount LOL. I agree about the shedding Karlin, I've never seen it as a problem either. We've got wooden or tiled floors everywhere except the landing and stairs which are carpeted. I've got woollen rugs everywhere and Maxx loves to lay on the darkest coloured ones LOL

This week we've got two more Cavs visiting and I haven't noticed tons of hair - I suppose the vacuum has gobbled it all up ;)

One place I do tend to get a lot of fur & hair, is under my bed. Maxx's favourite place for hide and seek and I must hoover about ten furballs a week out LOL

Oh and yes definitely, cats do shed more. We used to have two 3/4 Persians with very long coats & I had to vac much more often then. their hair used to make me sneeze too :cry:

I agree, our two cats shed more than Abbey. Their hair is really fine and downy and seems to be airborne even. We have hardwood, tile and carpet, they all look fine, but it's our furniture that we vacume! With all three sleeping with us at any given time, we've purchased a small hand vac that we use when we make the bed. It's handy, we keep it under the bed and it only takes a second to use in the morning. Our other solution was leather furniture, it's much easier to keep clean with pets. Our new couch is is really slippery--- when Abbey jumps up on it, she slides right off and then barks at it! Poor thing, she hates her new couch. :lol:

We've got leather furniture too Jen. In fact, most things in our house are 'natural fabrics' - so much easier to keep clean :lol:

I've got a vacuum upstairs that I use every day but I still find fluffballs LOL

I'm still wondering why I bought white bedding when I have a dog who gets very muddy paws and then jumps on my bed......

Maxx's mummy wrote:
I'm still wondering why I bought white bedding when I have a dog who gets very muddy paws and then jumps on my bed......

Abbey gets plopped in the laundry room wash bin after muddy walks...she sulks, but it's easier to keep four feet clean than a whole house clean! :D

During "Mud Dog Season" (spring thaw) we keep a large dish pan by the porch door and everyone is run thru the pan. Not perfect, but it gets the worst of the mud off.

Bruce
MysticKnight Cavaliers

Poor Abbey.... you come and stay with Auntie Donna ;) Thing is Jen, I keep a towel by every outside door but my kids never bother to use it and just let Maxx do as he pleases! :roll:

I suppose white bedding is good in one way though - a boil wash to remove the mud doesn't hurt it LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruce, I like that idea but knowing Maxx, he'd step over it :lol:

I'm sure it's easier because we don't have kids, but "poor Abbey" is soooo not the case--because we don't have kids this dog is doted on more than I ever was a child! Too funny!! She's so funny, too, when she doesn't get her way--like barking at the couch when she slips off it. Today she barked at the dishwasher because I put her food bowl in it! :roll:

LMAO bless her :lol: Yep, I know the feeling well. I was a 'late' baby and my brother is 8 1/2 yrs older than me, he was obviously so much more interesting ....

My mother can never understand my attachment to my animals but as I have told her on more than one occasion, animals give unconditional love! You don't have to be slim and beautiful and have a fantastic career for your dog to love you - as long as you are nice to them the rest of it can go swing :lol:

It's a complete mad house here most of the time and this week we have got two visiting Cavaliers as well - it's greeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttttttttttttt :D :D :D :D :D

I don't know what I'm going to do next week - hubby is back at work, youngest is back at school and my 'foster babies' are going home :cry: :cry: - anyone got a spare doggy????

Should have been more clear. I said that we run our dogs thru the pan, but actually we place them in the pan one at a time. They don't have a choice in the matter; and some of the looks we get are really funny.

BTW, going out this week to look at leather recliners. Should be interesting to see how our kids like leather!

Bruce
MysticKnight Cavaliers

Back