• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nightime Toileting

Evan

Okay, Louie has mastered the idea that he has to go outside for toilet. BUT Every morning when we come down, there is ALWAYS something there. I ealise that he is very young and he may not be able to hold it in. Will this stop after a certain age? Will he realise he has to wait until someone lets him out?

Not a bad idea to have someone take him out midway through the night to help with housetraining, as he is still so small. Hwoever he wilkl probably stop doing this once he gets the bigger picture about hosuetraining. In general a puppy can hold its bladder for one hour for every month old it is. It can hold itself longer at night as their metabolism slows while asleep. So for example a three month old puppy would only be able to hold itself about three hours. Some puppies need a trip outside at say 3 or 4 am until maybe 4 months old? Others don;t seem to have a problem -- Jaspar would last the night even at only 8.5 weeks so I was lucky, no late night sessions for me! ;)

The book How to Houstrain your Dog by Shirlee Kalstone is full of good advice. Usually it needs to be special ordered or ordered from Amazon in the UK.

What time do you give him his last meal as well Evan? Sometimes that can have a bearing on how much they need to wee or poop in the nights.

he has his dinner around 6/6.30 and sometimes we give him a vey small snack around 9. we bring him out then and he does his business. Then he goes to bed. I think it isn't all his fault because he is in the kitchen from 12 until about 7. :oops: Louie is 11 weeks so he can roughly hold it for about 2 hours.

Is he having pee accidents? Try pulling his water around 7pm (give him about 30 min after dinner) and then walk him again around 10 before going to bed. This should help prevent the need to go pee in the middle of the night.

he is having poo and pee accidents during the night. i thought they drank water all the tiem so ithought we had to leave it down :?

It's OK to take water away in the evening about 2-3 hours before you are going to bed. Let him have one last wee before everyone goes to bed at night. he is still pretty young and might need to be taken out at 3 or 4, if you want to make his housetraining consistent. They are like little babies -- human babies need to have feeds and be changed usually halfway through the night as well. It shouldn't be too long before he can last though. He is closer to lasting three hours now; and probably 5 or so he'd manage while sleeping; 7 or 8 is a pretty long stretch for his tiny bladder and bowel though!

He's still really very young to be expected to be clean and dry at night Evan. If I were you I think I wouldn't panic too much and just give him newspapers or those puppy pads to go on.

The GSD we had was about 6 mths before she was clean and dry at night but then after that we rarely had an accident.

yeah, as i said above he is still a bit young but the good thing is he always does his poops in the same spot so we put newspaper down there before going to bed so it's easier to clean!

That's very good Evan. He's obviously going to be a clean dog :D He'll soon be clean and dry - one morning you'll get up and there will be nothing!!!!!

we've just had a setback. For the past week Louie has : for 2 days done no businesss at night and for the rest of the time on paper. But today i woke up and there was 3 poos on the floor and one wee!! icon_yikes

you knwo i'm sure he does because he eats anything and everything :lol:

hopefully tonight he will be better

my mother is making Louie sleep in his kennel outside at night because every morning there are multiple poos and wees and he's almost 3 1/2 months. :( Poor Louie....

Oh no :~( {{{{{{{{Louie}}}}}}}} make sure he's warm and dry Evan. Does your Mum not realise that it is normal for puppies to do wees and poos at night?

What time do you feed Louie? And when do you last take him out before bedtime?

Can you give me a breakdown of your daily routine, Evan? We might be able to suggest a few simple changes that help him to be cleaner and drier :)

oh he's fine - he has a kennel with a blanket (cardboard underneath to retain heat) a jumper and a fluffy slipper :lol:

She does realise it but he is 3 1/2 and she wants him to sleep outside until he gets the hang of it lol

he gets fed around 8/8.30 am then again at around 2 then around 6/7 and then rarely he gets a small snack at around 10.

Oh a puppy that age and size should really, really not be kept outside. They can generate almost no body heat at all and the temps will be starting to drop very soon.

He really really really needs someone to be taking him out halfway through the night -- he's just too small to be holding it and he is still only a baby in dog terms. This isn't unusual for small breeds. It would be much better to confine him inside to something like the wire dog cages you can get in the argos catalogue, or have him in the bathroom where he can go on a tile floor, then to put him outside, which is pretty traumatic to happen after he's been indoors since he was 8 weeks old and is an indoor type breed mix as well. Maybe have your mum talk to the vet for advice? It took my cavaliers til hhey were a good year old to be able to have the body fat and coat to keep warm outside on a coolish day while on walks. Jaspar really would shiver when outside at the age Louie is.

I also strongly recommend buying Shirlee Kalstone's How to Housetrain a Dog in Seven Days -- I think her guidelines would really help move this process along more successfully.

Don't feel anything is wrong here with Louie. He is still really young. Puppies take a LOT of work, just like human babies. They usually are not completely relaible until a year or so old -- they get a lot better by 4-6 months but just as toddlers still wear nappies and have accidents while toilet training, so do puppies for their first year of life.

I agree with Karlin here Evan, we used to shut our puppies in the kitchen at night until they were clean and dry. The floor would be entirely covered with newspaper and it is so easily picked up and then the floor mopped afterwards.

Personally, I couldn't bear to have a dog outside at night. I did consider getting Maxx a kennel but it was just for him to lie in, in the garden as we don't seem to have any cooler spots. I was going to get one of those moulded ones and put ice packs on the roof to keep him cool :lol:

But then I am completely soppy with him and he is extremely spoiled :lol:

Back