• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hurricane Katrina

Lorraine

For anyone affected by the hurricane, for friends or family who might be there, i'm thinking of you all and hope that help is getting there.

I saw some pictures of people trying to save their animals from the water too.

heartbreaking. :cry:

It's incredible looking at the pictures, especially when the initial reports were that there was far less damage than expected. What I don't get is Bush saying on morning radio in the US yesterday that he didn't think anyone had predicted the levees would break. :| I mean, that point was made over and over on news reports here in *advance* of the storm hitting -- that the fear was that, because New Orleans lies below sea level, that the levees might not be able to withstand the force of the storm, and that if they broke, the city could be flooded under 20 feet of water. This was said over and over -- 20 feet of water. Sure enough, that's what happened. I hardly think the rest of the world found the only experts to be saying this and that no one whispered it in the President's ear!!? :?

I think you get some perspective when you realise the city of new Orleans area has the same number of people of the whole of Ireland -- imagine evacuating all of Dublin out to the west coast for example. And also, that the area now damaged by the storm is as large an area as the entire UK. It boggles the mind.

I am sure of one thing -- emergency response protocols will be rethought after this experience. Can you imagine being told you cannot go back to your home for 2-3 months though? :shock:

I'm amazed (well, not really) at the amount of money and help pouring in to help. The picture and videos are just devastating. Such a tragedy.

I will refrain from saying much about the man who my country (but not me!!!) elected as our President right now. I know that many folks support him but I am very disheartened and upset by all that is going on. It is not the America I have known in the past. The lack of care for the poor people in the area is beyond comprehension. I only hope that things turn around quickly. In my opinion the ball was dropped way before the hurricane even struck!

Dee said:
In my opinion the ball was dropped way before the hurricane even struck!

Boy, have you got that right!!

As of this morning...six days later!!!...there are STILL people stranded on rooftops. And as far as the levee breaking...yes, they had been warned that the infrastructure needing upgrading but no one wanted to spend the money!! :x

Our whole response to emergencies will be drastically changed by this event. We thought 9/11 taught us a lesson...not so!

Looks to me like Bush is doing s*d all to help those poor people :cry:

Wasn't it Giuliani who did the most for the 9/11 victims anyway, not Bush?

My heart goes out to all affected icon_flowers icon_heartthrob icon_flowers

I am so upset at our government that I will change the focus. I was very concerned -as we all are- of the displaced pets and people forced to give over pets to obtain their families' shelter. I spent some time researching today and I discovered that a number of organizations, including the ASPCA, Animal Rescue League, Humane Society, etc. are right there on the lines of defense rescuing pets either abandoned or just given up as folks enter shelters. These incredible folks are seeing that these animals are provided a safe haven. I ask everyone to remember the importance of providing your animal with an ID tag or better still a micro chip as well as an ID tag.So many folks will lose their beloved pets just for the lack of ID. I could never leave my Audrey behind. Being asked to do so is impossible. But I suppose many folks had no choice. It was life or death for their children. Please donate what you can to help innocent pets find their families.

Back