• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Abbey

Jen

Abbey's SM symptoms are still occuring, and we've decided to move forward with a MRI; this is scheduled for November. In the meantime, we've started her on Furosemide to help ease her symptoms. Once we know for sure what we're dealing with, we'll then a make a decision as to how to manage it. I'm convinced it's SM though, her symptoms read like a book. I'll be very surprised if her MRI comes up clear. We're working with an excellent neuro at the U of M, and our regular vet is also in the loop. We feel encouraged by the support of both.

I'm sorry you have these worries with Abbey. Good luck with the MRI and I know you'll have the support of people on this board as well. I think given the results of research projects that SM is a real possibility (as I know you already know), even if she weren't symptomatic -- as more than 50% of asymptomatic cavaliers showed up with SM in some form. The key thing really is the degree of mildness to severity and what the MRI will show. If it IS SM, I'll sure be hoping it is manageable and a mild form. I know you have taken all the right steps in pinpointing what the problem might be, and in choosing treatment options. icon_thumbsup That is really the right path -- eliminating other causes, learning what you can about SM, and thinking through what is best for you and for Abbey as a next step.

Thanks much everyone. We're in the midst of all the research and have options, which is very encouraging. I'm sure we'll feel better just knowing what we're dealing with.

OH Jen {{{{{{{{Jen and Abbey}}}}}}}} as you know Maxx has SM and since he started on his treatment he is a happy little dog again & so is Alison's Annie. they still want to play and do things the others do they just seem to get tired easily and of course they get their 'itchy scratchies'.

I hope if Abbey has SM then it IS only mild. It really is very copeable in the milder forms as I'm sure Karlin will agree.

Just PM me if I can help at all

Donna :~)
XXXX

Dear Jen

I'm so sorry to read this news about your beautiful Abbey.

As you may remember, Rupert has SM too. He is managed holistically, but does have homoeopathic remedies made from conventional medicines {no side effects!}. These include Frusemide, and since starting this, he has been much better.

Paws and fingers crossed that Abbey will only be mildly affected, sending positive healing thoughts too.

Welcome back Nicki! Yes, I remember Rupert's situation, and Abbey is now on Furosemide as well. We have our appt in November for the MRI and until then we're hoping this will help her symptoms. So far we haven't really noticed a change, but it's only been a week so we'll see.
I'll keep you posted, thanks for your support too!

Back