• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Choking

Jen

We were at my parent's this weekend, and Abbey gave us all a scare when she choked on her dental chew. Besides the occasional Greenie, we also give her CT Dental chews, per our vets recommendations. Well, one became stuck in the back of her throat today, and my heart was racing as we trying to figure out just what was wrong with her. She stood up, started screaming so we immediatly thought it was a SM thing, although she appread to be walking fine but she wouldn't close her mouth. We got a flashlight and managed to get her --she went behind the table and pressed herself against the wall. I pried her mouth open and saw it suck way down in her throat--the whole time she was screaming. I tried to grab it, and instead it slipped down her throat. I grabbed a bottle of water with the squeeze type cap and gave her a few shots. She then lurched over and puked. She did this 5 times and then seemed to be OK. We then gave her more water, at this point she was drinking from her own bowl. She was pretty clingy for awhile and seemed pretty freaked out. A few hours later she had dinner and seems fine, but we're watching her pretty closely. I plan to take back the CT chews and tell my vet about this incident. If anything, let this be a lesson in making sure dogs are always supervised with this and or any other chew/toy.

Oh, no! How scary!!! I'm glad she's OK!

You do have to be careful with rawhides or other chew toys. My pups only ever get them under supervision.

sorry you had such a scary experience!

Where do you get your CT dental chews? I just Googled them and couldn't find them easily. I got lots of hits for Petrodex Dental chews but not CT. Are they only available at the vet office?

Chester loves his Greenies, but it's always nice to try something new.

We get ours at the vets office, I think that's the only place they're sold.

Back