• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

when is the best time/age

A lot of experienced dog people say after 18 months of age for the first dog, which means you have the time to bring the first to adulthood, and to train properly. It gets very hard to train if you get two and they can contribute to each others' bad habits; you really cannot train both at the same time which tends to mean you don't do any training at all. I got Leo when Jaspar was 9 months and in retrospect I wish I'd waited til he was older, for this and other reasons. I'd at least wait til a year as it is much easier to deal with two if one is as mature as possible and through as much of the puppy phase as possible, especially if (like me!) you haven't owned two dogs together before.

Getting a second was the best thing I've done in ages, but also was done a bit too hastily I feel now. Of course it was wonderful to get the second and the dogs thoroughly enjoyed having a companion but Leo has had almost no training and is very unfocused while Jaspar hasn;t had the reinforcement he needs on basic training. I am lucky that they are both very good on recall and always stick by me rather than chase off after other dogs or people so that makes this a little less of a challenge than it could be. If you get two at a young age they risk bonding more to each other than to you as well and this in itself can make for training and behavioural difficulties.

Thanks Karlin,

i was thinking about getting another cavalier (or yorkie) next year, is it better to pair them male/male or male/female??

i can't get Harry castrated as it was part of the agreement that i have with his breeder, as she may want to mate him, would it be best to get one of his sons if he ever did have any pups??

People usually suggest getting one of the opposite sex but cavaliers get along so well that I don't think it matters. My two fellows are a delight and I love having two boys and they are very easy. If I get a third it would by preference be a girl mainly as I think three boys is a lot of leg-lifting! :lol:

However you really need advice about what gender is best to keep with an unneutered male (assuming the second dog will be neutered). I don't know if a male or female is better or if it matters; I've only ever had neutered pets.

We'll be getting a ruby or tri when we get our house 2 years from now.

Isabella will be 3 or 4 then so she should be well adjusted.

Hiya All,

Not been on for over a week :(

I want another Cavalier too, unfortunately my hubby has said no :(

Thing is, he loves and adores maxx as much as I do but I think he's afraid that Maxx would be upset by another dog being brought in. Maxx adores doggy company though & was in his element yesterday when I took him to Alison's for the day (Annie and Honey CKCS and Rosie the Sheltie). Alison's friend also came over with her Tibetan Terriers and there were 6 dogs having a whale of a time in the garden, no fights, disagreements or anything. Just all really enjoying themselves.

I just wish my hubby could be around to see the fun times that Maxx has with other furry company! When we first got Maxx we had a very tame, very ancient rabbit who was bigger than Maxx! They loved each other and when Freddie died Maxx pined terribly for him - I think they all need a playmate :D

Back