• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

A post-neuter question

Lorraine

As you know, we had Sam neutered only last Wednesday. He will be two years old next month. When we got Bonnie, he started becoming a lot more male :? if you know what i mean, started marking EVERYTHING and became very protective of Bonnie when we were out on walks.

I have noticed a BIG difference in him since the neuter but i thought that i wouldnt see any noticable change for at least six weeks. He's been marking a lot less, doesn't bark anymore (he used to bark at passing dogs when we were out walking with Bonnie) and he just generally seems to be a much happier dog.

I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed such an immediate change in their dog after neutering. Bonnie will be going in for her spay as soon as she is old enough and i wonder how it will affect her, probably not at all 8)

LOL, just as i'm typing, Sam's here on the armchair pulling a blanket over himself, just had to share that, made me smile :D

LOL Lorraine, can just imagine him covering himself with his blankie :lol: Don't you know that as his willing slave, you are supposed to do it for him? :lol:

OK then, the first thing I noticed when we had Maxx sorted was that his poor worn out piggy toy (that he stole off my bed) was no longer being 'humped' fifty times a day :lol:

He has never really marked until recently & l think that that's been due to the fact that we've had a lot of girlie visitors to the house - he's trying to impress them ;) He's never marked inside the house though :D

Other than that, I think it just calmed him down very, very slightly - he's 6 now and still as mad as ever :lol:

Which one of the babies is that in your pic????

That's Bonnie in my avatar, she's at the mental puppy stage and she's currently tearing around the house with the kitten.

Sam, thankfully, wasn't all that into humping things but did all the other boy things. that's so funny about Maxx and the teddy, a friend of mine has a tiny yorkshire terrier that takes his teddy out everytime they have visitors over and shows them what he can do icon_yikes

Now that i think about it, Sam's marking inside may have started when we had an un-neutered foster stay with us for a couple of days. before then, he never really did it.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, did the foster mark in the house Lorraine? Just makes me wonder if he did and whether Sam can still smell it.

If I were you I'd get one of those sprays that banishes pet smells from things. You can pick them up in the supermarket. Spray everything that Sam has marked on and he shouldn't do it again. Neutered males can still mark - Maxx is 6 and was neutered at 6 mths!

The foster did mark in the house. it was a good while ago now, you remember Ricky that Karlin posted about. We have cleaned with the biological washing powder and TBH, he doesn't mark inside all that much anymore, mainly outside but it was getting to the stage where he wanted to stop at every tree and lamp post and we had to keep pulling him away. I can notice a difference in him already though.

it was probably the combination of the foster being in the house and Bonnie arriving that pushed his hormone levels up.

More than likely - I have never in my life known such higly sexed dogs as a male cavalier! Yes I do remember Ricky, he was yummy :D

I sent you a pm btw :~)

I just love that picture!! How cute. We had Jake fixed at 6 months so he hadn't really started displaying any "male" characteristics. I think Shelby likes to tinkle more on her walks than Jake does! She's a kick...she'll tinkle and then kick up the grass. Such a studly little lady.

Leo was neutered at around 10-11 months and I noticed the changes pretty quickly. Same with Jaspar -- he'd just started to get into humping toys and that stopped almost right away. 8)

Back