• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spider bite

sweetbutno16

Hi, my 6month cavalier came back from the vet getting her baby tooth pulled with a sore side. After returning to the vet a bite was discovered on her side. I was told it was a spider bite and given lots of meds and another bill. She is still pretty sore and crying when it is touched. I am hoping she will recover fast but she is in pain still and how long will it take before I don't worry? Any simulair stories? icon_drivingcar

Hi sweetbutno16 and icon_welcome to the board.

My guess is that you are in USA and this is a Brown Reclusive Spider bite????

There is some good info on the following site http://www.highway60.com/mark/brs/default.htm there are plenty of stories on there about dogs being bitten by these horrid spiders.

Thankfully, the dogs recover but the bites can be nasty all the same :(

It could be any spider bite, not necessarily a brown recluse! I hope she feels better soon!

I don't know Rory, spider bites are relatively unheard of in this country but all the pages I found about bites yesterday were all BRS bites :cry:
I wasn't aware that spiders just bit people or animals :cry:

I know that black widows and some tarantulas do of course but I highly doubt that it was one of those - unless of course they live in the jungle ;) :lol:

I have heard it is a spidery year in some parts of the US. I don;t know what types might bite -- we used to have black widows where I lived in Calif but you'd only see them rarely. Hope your cavalier is feeling better; if a spider bite is anything like a wasp it can stay sore and sensitive for a couple of days with the skin very hot in the surrounding area. Sounds like she got the treatment she needed and is in good hands.

<Chuckles> My husband was shocked by the spiders he saw when he first moved to Kansas. Brown Recluse Spiders are native to our area here, and their bites can have deadly consequences. Other spiders bite as well, but they are more annoying that deadly. As my husband says, the spiders here are bloody awful.

My parents' cat was bitten by a spider on her nose (I'll let you imagine what she was doing with it), and it caused her hair to fall out around the infected area. It was just an ordinary spider in the house.

I dont know about other places in the US, but it certainly has been a bad year for spiders here. The webs are annoying!!

Back