• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

a scary moment

edel

When i came home from work yesterday my dad told me a story that really scared me.

At the moment we are having our bathroom renovated and there was a guy in to plaster the walls. My dad was in the living room watching tv when the guy left after a days work. about 10 minutes later my dad went into the kitchen for a drink and called Lady expecting her to be in her bed or upstairs on the big beds (she goes up there alot). When she didn't appear he went upstairs and searched every room for her still not finding her anywhere. At this point he said he could feel his heart rising into his mouth at the realisation that she wasnt in the house. She has never been outside on her own in her life.

So panic set in and he ran out the front door like a headless chicken shouting for her at the top of his voice. He ran up the road searching for her but she was nowhere to be seen.

He said it was like the panic you feel when you lose a child in a supermarket and dread sets in. So he decided to check around the back of our house and sure enough, there is was. Altogether she was outside for about 20 minutes and anything could have happened to her. She was near a busy road and anyone could have picked her up.

Im so relieved that he found her.

Oh that is scary. I had one of my indoor cats escape when a builder left a ladder loeaning out in the side yard while he worked on my bathroom. I thought I'd lost her permanently but a neighbour several blocks away found her, being pelted with stones by kids, two weeks later. :cry: :x She was dirty and skinny and I was SOOOO happy to have her back. She just slept for three days, only getting up to eat and drink and use the litter box, then back to sleep.

Ever since then I put the animals into a room with a closed door to make sure they can't get out, if someone is in working on the house or outside -- it is really easy for workers to forgetfully leave a door open, or leave it open while they bring things in and out, and not notice a dog or cat sneaking out, even if they are watching out. Sometimes even if you ask them to be cautious they don't really bother, unfortunately, or they get busy and forget you asked.

I'm so glad you found her and all was well!!

oh god thats a scary thing to happen to u all, i scrolled down ur post quickly just to make sure u had found her.
when i get my puppy i will b gettin stuff done in my house soon after but i will make sure that she will be safely locked in her puppy cage, to keep her safe, i do that all the time with my cats so i dont hav 2 worry. it learns us all how careful we have to be with our fur babies.

I think the worst time we 'lost' Maxx was when we didn't know he was out. He needed to go out the garden for a wee and was crying so I shouted downstairs to my son to let him out - I was in the bath at the time & we were still 'puppy training' him.

Anyway, around 45 minutes later there was a knock at my front door, when I opened it, my neighbour was stood there with Maxx in her arms icon_yikes

She'd found him sitting on her doorstep shivering and crying - she'd only opened the door to put her milkbottles out.

We think that my dopey son had been half asleep when he was asked to let Maxx out and opened the front door instead of the back door icon_yikes

He certainly never did it again and we were so lucky to get Maxx back. I dread to think what would have happened if we'd lived on a busy road and not in a quite cul-de-sac!

Back