• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

confused about vaccinations

cleopatra

i keep reading posts where people are getting their dogs vaccinated every 3 years instead of every year, is this better for the dog?. and if so what happens if i had pet insurance and my dog got sick and they said they would not pay out because i didnt vaccinate often enough???.. i want to do whats best for my dog, not to keep some big shot happy by putting chemicals into my pet. also when i first get my puppy she will need her puppy jabs, is this also necessary?, and if so i will definitely be getting them done , i am mainly concerned about the ones that come after that.

If I was starting out with a puppy now I would get the initial set of vaccinations, a booster one year later and then boosters every 3 years after that depending upon the the recommendations at that time.
I contacted my insurance company to ask what their position on this new regime of vaccinations was and they said the dog would be still be covered except for an illness or loss as a direct result of no vaccinations e.g. parvo, distemper etc.,
Warm wishes,
Ruth

I've put a set of discussions down in the Health FAQs on this issue. The puppy jabs are extremely important -- puppies have a very high mortality rate if struck by parvo or distemper and basically you won't get *any* insurance coverage if you don;t do the initial batch.

In Ireland I think you can only get Allianz insurance -- I havenm;t spoken to them on the subject of once every three-years vax but intend to call and talk to them -- want to send them some info so they see this is actually vet school recommendations now.

thats very helpful karlin and it would be a great idea to get the companies clued up on this sort of thing

Back