View Poll Results: Do you think cavaliers Coat should be cut?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Its looks better short and keeps them cool

0 0%
  • No, they are beautifull as they are

11 61.11%
  • If they get hot it should be cut

1 5.56%
  • Maybe a wee trim but nothing drastic

6 33.33%
  • only ears and leg area for showing.

0 0%

Thread: Grooming the cavalier

Post Thanks / Like

Default Grooming the cavalier

I have a friend who totally got all the hair cut [Groomed as he puts it] of his bitch cavalier, as he thought she was too hot, the poor thing looked dreadfull, i thought you were not supposed to groom this breed to this extent, and it upsets me when i see his dog go through it year after year.

is there a guidline to this breed and grooming or is it just personal preferance?

personally i wouldnt ruin thier fur / coat by doing this to them as now the dogs coat is ruined and when it does grow back it looks bad even when brushed.

I tidy my dogs ears and clip thier thumb nails myself but after seeing his dog i would never trust a grooming salon, as he told me he asked for a trim, this dog was sheered like a sheep.

i am interested on your thoughts on this, sorry if it has been discussed before.

PS, my dogs no longer wear clothes, as my kids were getting embarraced!!!!!
    thanks

Fidelma
    ------------------------------------
    The average dog is often a nicer person than the average person. Andrew A. Rooney

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For showing they are no supposed to be trimmed at all, but many people do trim them (I'd say MOST I see as pets in Ireland are trimmed to a "puppy cut" where the long hair is removed and ears trimmed back). I like them long and would never consider cutting the coat except for medical reasons; the whole point (besides the personality!) for me is the beuatiful long coat and ears.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

We trim Abbey, because she is so hot otherwise. She's got very thick hair, we trim it but not shear it as you're speaking of. The people before us had her ears groomed short, but we're letting them grow out. I like the long ears and feathering, but just a shorter version to keep her more comfortable.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

I trim the hair between the pads of Chester's feet and that's it. He is a wash-and-go kinda' guy!
    "My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet."
    ~Edith Wharton