• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Grooming the cavalier

Do you think cavaliers Coat should be cut?

• Yes, Its looks better short and keeps them cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they are beautifull as they are

• If they get hot it should be cut

• only ears and leg area for showing.

• Total voters

Fi

I have a friend who totally got all the hair cut [Groomed as he puts it] of his bitch cavalier, as he thought she was too hot, the poor thing looked dreadfull, i thought you were not supposed to groom this breed to this extent, and it upsets me when i see his dog go through it year after year.

is there a guidline to this breed and grooming or is it just personal preferance?

personally i wouldnt ruin thier fur / coat by doing this to them as now the dogs coat is ruined and when it does grow back it looks bad even when brushed.

I tidy my dogs ears and clip thier thumb nails myself but after seeing his dog i would never trust a grooming salon, as he told me he asked for a trim, this dog was sheered like a sheep.

i am interested on your thoughts on this, sorry if it has been discussed before.

PS, my dogs no longer wear clothes, as my kids were getting embarraced!!!!!

For showing they are no supposed to be trimmed at all, but many people do trim them (I'd say MOST I see as pets in Ireland are trimmed to a "puppy cut" where the long hair is removed and ears trimmed back). I like them long and would never consider cutting the coat except for medical reasons; the whole point (besides the personality!) for me is the beuatiful long coat and ears. :)

We trim Abbey, because she is so hot otherwise. She's got very thick hair, we trim it but not shear it as you're speaking of. The people before us had her ears groomed short, but we're letting them grow out. I like the long ears and feathering, but just a shorter version to keep her more comfortable. :)

Back