• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cloe Delivers her pups

Yes, you will see some discharge for a few days. Just keep her cleaned up as best you can. Completely normal.

Best thing you can do is just start rotating puppies, although it sounds like that's what you are doing. Forgot to mention on last post: rule of thumb is you look for puppies to double birth weight in 7 to 10 days. Will probably take longer with 7, that's quite a lot for your girl. Important thing is that they are gaining.

Hang in there! I'm praying for you, mom and the puppies.

Thanks, my son is feeding the m now while mom sleeps he is putting them on her! trying to put the smaller pups on the fuller nipples.

Coming up with a few ideas for kennel names, doing some research on net, thinking of going with film names that sort of connect, like double -o-seven and pet name bond, for us anyway! and my fair lady pet name lady think i will give this to the dog i keep..... want one of them wiht ruby in it

If you use an electric heating pad make sure you cover it with lots of blankets or towels so there are a lot of layers of towels or blankets between the pups and the heating pad, as Bruce mentioned.

good lulck!! Try to get some sleep yourself!!!
-rory's mom

Congratulations, they look lovely. Guess it will be very hard work for Mom and for you with so many. Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight.

As Bruce said, try to weigh the pups daily so you can see how they are doing - maybe put a little nail varnish on their toes - different toes and different colours and record it! - so that you can tell them apart - THIS IS ESSENTIAL.

Keeping them warm is VERY important too.

Eclampsia is a worry with such a large litter, big strain on Mom, the risk increases each week until weaning as they are feeding more. Maybe try giving some scrambled egg, also have a word with your vet so that they are on standby just in case.

Keep a watch on Mom and if she shows stiffness, nervousness and restlessness, then contact your vet immediately.

Hope it all goes well, and keep posting the photos, so we can all have our puppy fix - Bruce you must be getting so excited seeing these :D

gosh thanks for that, it is a worry, she is doing well so far and feeding ok. the inside of her ears are really warm and hot, so i was rubbing and flapping them fo rher to try to cool her down she seemed to like it, but i was worried as she is panting alot, but the kids tell m ei have the room very arm!!

my daughter and her friend are on puppy watch tonight as i desperatly need sleep.

got a picture with all seven pups, will post it tomorrow all going well, but with my son turning 14 on sunday i have a busy weekend ahead.

I would get a thermometer that you can use to take her temp rectally. Any oral thermometer will work. Take the kid's too. Put some lube on the thermometer before trying to insert it.

I'd be good to know if she really is running hot or if the pups are cold.

Nicki is right - you should keep track of the pups' weights so you'll make sure they're gaining and know when you might need to intervene.

Pups did great through the night and had thier first visit to the vet, all ok, but she cut CLoe's fur around the nipples near her forearms as it was very long and she said it would make them feeding unaided by us easier, have to say she is right!

CIMG1752.jpg

CIMG1750.jpg

CIMG1755.jpg

finally got a picture or all seven but you ahve to count carefully as ithink there is only 6 heads and 7 bodies!!!!

i have never counted to seven so foten in all my life!
have chosen names for 6 one to go.

You need to count tails in that picture! They are very sweet and that's great that they got an OK at their first check-up. The little runt is so cute! I always have a soft spot for the little fighters. Has Evelyn seen them? You'll have to list the names for them once you have all seven named.

She will be over after they are 2 weeks, old, i think she leaves it that long to be sure they survive. last year i lost one at 13 days.

The last name really has me stumped, but i can reveal the female i am keeping will be called "My fair Lady as a kennel name and "Lady" as our name for her. but i ahve 4 females to choose from, and i cant tell them apart so going to wait till they grow a bit! if they were chipped it would be easier!

liked the idea of painting the nails, but Cloe is really funny about smells, and cant abide anything smelly she goes mad so id be afraid teh smell would make her loose interest in the pups. i'd rather not risk it!

You should find some way to identify them if they are all very similar. You could do just one tiny nail each -- it would dry quickly and doubt she would notice. You could even use the same colour, just do a different nail on one paw of each dog and record who's who that way.

or on the tail. that's how my breeder identified her pups.

or little strings for collars.

Its even hard to tell the runts at this point, i know its only been 48 hours but i would swear they have grown, and put on alot of weight, they all seem so solid.

Two of them are even taking wee walks! and Max picked one up so gently when it wandered off and carried it back to Mam, and she licked him as if to say thanks, i would ahve thought she would have growled if he went near, but she seems to love him helping......

Incredible pictures! Congratulations to you and to Cloe! The puppies and your son are adoreable. I would love a ruby....alas, I am on the other side of the pond.
J.

hi al, these pups are growing before my eyes, they are wonderfull.

im thinking of leaving them with Cloe tongiht alone, but will probally spend the ngiht worring, how long do other breeders stay up supervising mother and pup?

We don't generally stay up all night with the pups unless we are having some kind of problem. Having said that, the sleep we get at night the first week or so is very poor. Every time there is the slightest little squeek or noise, we are awake and checking on them. If they are gaining weight and looking healthy, then I wopuld say you can get some sleep.

BTW, the welping box the mom and puppies are in is in our bedroom until the puppies get big and strong enough to crawl over the 4" high board at the door. Then they "graduate" to the bigger pen in the living room.

ah, see i have the pen in my living room, and during the day they have been out of it on the big cousion by the couch, but last ngiht i locked them up in the pen, i have seen some lovely pictures of whelping boxes, but for me just not feasable, so i got a cage and i lock it at night so she cant move the pups on me!

She has alot more freedom then last year, last year she stayed in teh cage nearly all the time, but i learnt alot and now realise she will look after the pups i dont need to worry, but i do when im not here!

My aupair arrives today so this should make my life alot easier.

Our "welping box" is nothing more than a standard large crate. I just screwed a 4" high piece of wood to the front so puppies can't crawl out. We then set up an x-pen in front so mom can come out for food or water, but can't take puppies anywhere.

I have a large cage, i see owners at shows with them, there is loads of room for mam to lay down in any given direction.

but if i put anything soft in teh bottom she just ripps it up trying to dig. she is digging all the time.

i only lock her in when going to bed, does that sound ok?

when the pups start to move i will be letting them out but locking them in and letting her in when she wants, its alot of work but i am petrified of her moving them, she makes them scream when she tries to pick them up.....

Oh, you have one of those Moms!! I think you're on the right track.

Earlier this year our most experienced Mom decided to do that. She would leave the pups in the crate, but bury them under the bedding. We ended up getting up with the puppies every 3 hours or so for nursing on the Mom. What a job. We wondered if she thought there was something wrong with her puppies because we had a litter born just 3 weeks earlier that she had seen and hers were so much smaller. After her puppies were about 3 to 4 weeks old, she was all right.

This coming year will be her last litter and if she tries doing it again we are considering glueing a rubber mat down to the crate bottom so puppies can get some traction to crawl to mom. Maybe that will make a difference.

Who knows what goes on in those furry little heads ?

Back