Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloe Delivers her pups

Post Thanks / Like

as you see there are only 6 pups!! and i opened that account but spelt my name wrong!!! tired or what!

ill find another pic!

just realised i have no picture of all 7... must do soemthing about that tomorrow.

night all
    thanks

Fidelma
    ------------------------------------
    The average dog is often a nicer person than the average person. Andrew A. Rooney

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Great pictures; how tiny and perfect they are!
    I hope you're able to get some rest. Thanks for posting!!
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Seven pups. You and Mom must be exhausted. Beautiful pics.
    Mary-owned by Maya, Scout, Jazz and Sassy
    Annie at the bridge 3/13
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should dance......

Post Thanks / Like

wow those pups are just toooooooooooooo gorgeous and the mum is so beautiful, i dont know how you will bear to part with any of them.... lots of luck with them... and keep us updated

Post Thanks / Like

Right, day 2 dawns, first pup is now 1 day old and i ahve had a sleepless night, they did not settle atall, i think they were a bit chilly, but the Mam is panting as she is too hot, so i have done something a bit different i have now got her laying on a big duvet type thing i bought her and Max, and got her and the pups on that, she doesnt seem to want to move them, for now anyway, but she can only feed 5 at a time, and if all want to feed and i take one to feed it she will disturd all teh tohers to get up adn see what im doing to her pup and we are back to square one.

hope tonight is better then last ngiht,
    thanks

Fidelma
    The average dog is often a nicer person than the average person. Andrew A. Rooney

Post Thanks / Like

I think I would get them off the wet newspaper and onto some vetbed unless you have already done that.
    Warm wishes,
    Ruth

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have heard of people using those flat heating pads for people under the puppies, set on a low setting; the advantage is you can have the mother off the pads and the puppies on it. I know the breeder I got my pups from keeps them in some kind of an incubator or under heatlamps -- he says you can lose them easily if they aren't kept warm enough. I am sure Evelyn can advise. I know there are vet heating pads and lamps available somewhere as some people in dog rescue have them for puppies. Why not call and ask your vets if trying to source some? They might know where to order.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth
    I think I would get them off the wet newspaper and onto some vetbed unless you have already done that.
    Warm wishes,
    Ruth
    LOL Ruth, they were the birthing papers, she is now beside me on a lovely fluffy duvet, she doesnt seem to want to moe them so all happy so far. they are alot more content on the duvet then in the cage i had for her.
    thanks

Fidelma

Post Thanks / Like

What beautiful little pups! Now I REALLY need my puppy fix You are definately going to be very busy time for a while!

If you don't have a crate warming pad, the next best thing is an electric heating pad. Set it on low and put it under the crate. Then put a couple bath towels in the crate, over the area where the heating pad is. I would also try to keep the area where the crate is at a temperature of about 74 degrees F (sorry, couldn't find C. conversion). You definately do want to keep those pups warm, especially if you have one that's struggling. I would use a heat lamp as a very last resort.

Do you have a vet nearby that can show you how to tube feed? It's a little scary and dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and should only be used if other methods aren't working. Very simply, you put a tube down the throat all the way into the stomach; it's attached to a syringe of formula and you just push the formula right into the stomach.

Do you have a postal scale? If so, weigh the pups once a day. That will tell you definately who is gaining and who you have to work on. Sometimes you can get those stubborn pups to nurse by squeezing the nipple and milking it down enough to get a drop of milk at the end. It's important to get all the puppies nursing at least a little bit in the first few days so that they get the colostrum that gives them their immunities.

And, finally, with a litter that large I would suggest you give the mom a couple pieces of cheese a day for the weeks she is nursing. Important that her calcium levels are kept up.

Hang in there, it's going to be a lot of work, but well worth it. That's a beautiful litter. BTW, we had a seven puppy litter once and it was one of the easier litters we ever had; hopefully, this is an easy litter for you also.

Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

hi, well its not exactly easy, as she can only seem to feed 5 at a time, and she seems to fuss if we try to help with the other 2. but she is asleep right now, which is nice. i gave her a drink of milk which i noraamlly never do but i felt she needed it, all seem to be doing wel, off ot vets in the morning with MAx to get his drain out so b ringing Mom and pups too.

She has a bit of blood thismorning, but none last ngiht, hope that is normal, dont remember, but being a Mam myself im guessing its normal!
    thanks

Fidelma