Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloe Delivers her pups

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you will see some discharge for a few days. Just keep her cleaned up as best you can. Completely normal.

Best thing you can do is just start rotating puppies, although it sounds like that's what you are doing. Forgot to mention on last post: rule of thumb is you look for puppies to double birth weight in 7 to 10 days. Will probably take longer with 7, that's quite a lot for your girl. Important thing is that they are gaining.

Hang in there! I'm praying for you, mom and the puppies.
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, my son is feeding the m now while mom sleeps he is putting them on her! trying to put the smaller pups on the fuller nipples.

Coming up with a few ideas for kennel names, doing some research on net, thinking of going with film names that sort of connect, like double -o-seven and pet name bond, for us anyway! and my fair lady pet name lady think i will give this to the dog i keep..... want one of them wiht ruby in it
    thanks

Fidelma
    ------------------------------------
    The average dog is often a nicer person than the average person. Andrew A. Rooney

Post Thanks / Like

If you use an electric heating pad make sure you cover it with lots of blankets or towels so there are a lot of layers of towels or blankets between the pups and the heating pad, as Bruce mentioned.

good lulck!! Try to get some sleep yourself!!!
    -rory's mom
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratulations, they look lovely. Guess it will be very hard work for Mom and for you with so many. Hope you manage to get some sleep tonight.

As Bruce said, try to weigh the pups daily so you can see how they are doing - maybe put a little nail varnish on their toes - different toes and different colours and record it! - so that you can tell them apart - THIS IS ESSENTIAL.

Keeping them warm is VERY important too.

Eclampsia is a worry with such a large litter, big strain on Mom, the risk increases each week until weaning as they are feeding more. Maybe try giving some scrambled egg, also have a word with your vet so that they are on standby just in case.

Keep a watch on Mom and if she shows stiffness, nervousness and restlessness, then contact your vet immediately.

Hope it all goes well, and keep posting the photos, so we can all have our puppy fix - Bruce you must be getting so excited seeing these
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

gosh thanks for that, it is a worry, she is doing well so far and feeding ok. the inside of her ears are really warm and hot, so i was rubbing and flapping them fo rher to try to cool her down she seemed to like it, but i was worried as she is panting alot, but the kids tell m ei have the room very arm!!

my daughter and her friend are on puppy watch tonight as i desperatly need sleep.

got a picture with all seven pups, will post it tomorrow all going well, but with my son turning 14 on sunday i have a busy weekend ahead.
    thanks

Fidelma
    The average dog is often a nicer person than the average person. Andrew A. Rooney

Post Thanks / Like

I would get a thermometer that you can use to take her temp rectally. Any oral thermometer will work. Take the kid's too. Put some lube on the thermometer before trying to insert it.

I'd be good to know if she really is running hot or if the pups are cold.

Nicki is right - you should keep track of the pups' weights so you'll make sure they're gaining and know when you might need to intervene.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Pups did great through the night and had thier first visit to the vet, all ok, but she cut CLoe's fur around the nipples near her forearms as it was very long and she said it would make them feeding unaided by us easier, have to say she is right!

finally got a picture or all seven but you ahve to count carefully as ithink there is only 6 heads and 7 bodies!!!!

i have never counted to seven so foten in all my life!
    have chosen names for 6 one to go.
    thanks

Fidelma

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You need to count tails in that picture! They are very sweet and that's great that they got an OK at their first check-up. The little runt is so cute! I always have a soft spot for the little fighters. Has Evelyn seen them? You'll have to list the names for them once you have all seven named.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

She will be over after they are 2 weeks, old, i think she leaves it that long to be sure they survive. last year i lost one at 13 days.

The last name really has me stumped, but i can reveal the female i am keeping will be called "My fair Lady as a kennel name and "Lady" as our name for her. but i ahve 4 females to choose from, and i cant tell them apart so going to wait till they grow a bit! if they were chipped it would be easier!

liked the idea of painting the nails, but Cloe is really funny about smells, and cant abide anything smelly she goes mad so id be afraid teh smell would make her loose interest in the pups. i'd rather not risk it!
    thanks

Fidelma

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You should find some way to identify them if they are all very similar. You could do just one tiny nail each -- it would dry quickly and doubt she would notice. You could even use the same colour, just do a different nail on one paw of each dog and record who's who that way.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com