Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: supplements

Post Thanks / Like

Jake had terrible tummy problems but after about 1 1/2 years he finally outgrew them. That's why we do the canned pumpkin. At the very first sign of upset tummy he gets canned ID (from the vet) for dinner and that's it. I always keep a couple of cans on hand for this reason. Shelby has always been pretty good as far as the tummy issues.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! That gives me hope that someday she will outgrow this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Upset tummies & weight

One of my cavs has bouts with an upset tummy - she wants to go outside and eat some of my ribbon grass so that's when I know she has one. What would best to give her for the tummy problem - when winter comes it's a little hard to find my ribbon grass beneath the snow!

My other cav is quiet overweight - I've cut her food back to 1/3 cp. 2 x daily. (She is on Royal Canine Lite & Sensible Choice (by R. Canine)). Of course, she thinks she is starving so we have to watch her so she doesn't steal everyone else's food - like our little Lhaso who just eats when he decides to!

Post Thanks / Like

Default supplements

If you can find it canned tripe great for the tummys and coats, smells awful

Omega 3 and 6
    Solid Gold Sea Meal

Salmon oil

Rod Russell Guest

Some supplements you might consider for Cavaliers, considering their propensity for mitral valve disease, are vitamin C (300 to 400 mg. daily), vitamin E (100 I.U. daily), CoQ10 (30 mg. daily). and Omega-3 (1,000 mg. daily).

Post Thanks / Like

Jake gets 10 mg of Co-Q10 (no hearts problems) Shelby gets 30 mg (minor prolapse).
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I also give Darby Salmon Oil in her kibble. It's GREAT for the skin and coat, and has lots of Omega-3 fatty acids!

The only downside is that it's really stinky! I have to put her little snood on her every time she eats to keep her ears from smelling like fish! icon_yuk

Rod Russell Guest

Great use of the Yuk icon there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, yuk is appropriate! I put mine in hair scrunchies now for any meal excepting plain dry kibble. Once every week or two they get sardines mixed in with a kkibbble meal, and before I used the scrunchies, their ears could smell like fish for days... As it is it's my least favourite 'dog breath' day...
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com