• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

supplements

edel

i have read on other boards the importance of supplements in your dogs diet. Can anyone tell me the ones they use, the amount they give, and where they get them from?

thank you

Hi,

I would be very interested if anyone can give that information as we want to ensure that we are giving Gizmo everything he needs ....
Edel - how did you get on in Dublin last weekend?

Did you get anything nice for Lady as a pressie?

when i get my pup soon i will be feeding her on clinivet dry food and i would also like to know what sort of things are handy to add to food to give them that little bit extra

Petitchien,

I went into the city centre to do some shopping, the shopping is so much better up there. I couldnt believe the amount of people though, its crazy.

I was going to pick something up in Blanchardstown for her but when we got there it was packed so we didnt stay long.

If its like that now imagine what way it will be at Christmas.

I did go out on Saturday night to Temple Bar and had a great time though ;)

Hi Edel,

That's good to hear and I know what you mean about the crowds !! Was out in town on Sat. night and could hardly move (and not just in the pub!)

Pity that it was so crowded in Blanch .. it's a great store and "usually" quite easy to get to.....

I don't give any supplements except for a weekly or two-weekly teaspoon of cod liver oil. It's more that I don't know what to give however! I know some of the UK people on the list definitely give supplements so maybe they'll see this.

The only supplement we give is pumpkin. We add a glob of it to Abbey's meals, just for fiber to keep her regular and make her feel full as we're trying to get her to loose a bit of weight.

Hi Jen,

That's really interesting and good to know ... will start that soon ... do you find it easy to get pumpkin all year round? Do you buy it fresh and mash it into the food or get it in supplement tablets? Sorry for the questions, but wondering how to operationally implement this.....

Cheers

Hi Jen,

That's really interesting and good to know ... will start that soon ... do you find it easy to get pumpkin all year round? Do you buy it fresh and mash it into the food or get it in supplement tablets? Sorry for the questions, but wondering how to operationally implement this.....

We buy it in a can, the pure stuff, not the stuff used for pies which usually contains additives. We then divide it into small containers, keeping one in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. We started doing this because it takes awhile to get through a can and it was spoiling on us. I also freeze some in an ice cube tray and give her a cube as a treat. She loves it. Her treats are mainly fruits and veggies--watermelon, green beans and squash are her other favorites. We just keep a variety chooped up in the fridge for her.

We give Scarlett Pet Tabs vitamins from the vet, but we started them when she was on a medicine that he said could drain her body of certain nutrients. ( She had diarrhea, but they never could find anything in her stool so they treated her with something that would take care of a couple of different suspected causes) The doctor said to just keep her on the vitamins afterward because they were good for her.

Also, we give Scarlett Mrs. Allen's shed stop right now because she is leaving a pretty white and red frosting of hair all over my house right now. LOL However, I am not sure it is helping.

We also give Scarlett cottage cheese pretty regularly. She loves it, and the vet said it is good for her coat. We also feed rice when she gets an upset tummy. Scarlett seems to have a sensitive tummy. Do your dogs?

Jake had terrible tummy problems but after about 1 1/2 years he finally outgrew them. That's why we do the canned pumpkin. At the very first sign of upset tummy he gets canned ID (from the vet) for dinner and that's it. I always keep a couple of cans on hand for this reason. Shelby has always been pretty good as far as the tummy issues.

Upset tummies & weight

One of my cavs has bouts with an upset tummy - she wants to go outside and eat some of my ribbon grass so that's when I know she has one. What would best to give her for the tummy problem - when winter comes it's a little hard to find my ribbon grass beneath the snow!

My other cav is quiet overweight - I've cut her food back to 1/3 cp. 2 x daily. (She is on Royal Canine Lite & Sensible Choice (by R. Canine)). Of course, she thinks she is starving so we have to watch her so she doesn't steal everyone else's food - like our little Lhaso who just eats when he decides to!

Some supplements you might consider for Cavaliers, considering their propensity for mitral valve disease, are vitamin C (300 to 400 mg. daily), vitamin E (100 I.U. daily), CoQ10 (30 mg. daily). and Omega-3 (1,000 mg. daily).

I also give Darby Salmon Oil in her kibble. It's GREAT for the skin and coat, and has lots of Omega-3 fatty acids!

The only downside is that it's really stinky! I have to put her little snood on her every time she eats to keep her ears from smelling like fish! icon_yuk

:lol: Yes, yuk is appropriate! I put mine in hair scrunchies now for any meal excepting plain dry kibble. Once every week or two they get sardines mixed in with a kkibbble meal, and before I used the scrunchies, their ears could smell like fish for days... :shock: As it is it's my least favourite 'dog breath' day...

Back