• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Two health questions??

MGMom

First, Scarlett has started shedding profusely. I think her shedding has increased 500%! She eats good food and looks healthy. Is this normal for the fall of the year? If so, when will she go back to normal? Also, she was spayed about 6 weeks ago. Could the change in horomone level cause this? If so, does anyone have advice? When I sweep the floor, I feel as if I am shoveling snow in a snow storm! I called the vet, but the nurse said not to worry unless she was losing big hunks or having bald spots. ( I was thinking thyroid.)

Second, we went to a Bark in the Park event yesterday, and Scarlett seemed to tire out after a few hours. She wasn't even interested in the other dogs after a while. Now, we were there several hours, and she is used to being pampered in an air conditioned house, but she is a young dog (7 1/2 months). The weather was rather warm. I know these dogs are bred to be spoiled house dogs, but I am a little worried. Does this sound like normal Cavalier behavior? She seems fine and perky again today? Maybe I am just used to bigger dogs who have more stamina. She is our first Cavalier, but we love her dearly!

1) Sounds like she is shedding her puppy coat. The first shedding is a lot of hair -- I'm sure others will verify this. I seem to be the only one with dogs that have not shed their coats in one big heap and one is only losing his cat at TWO -- they are very slowly acquiring an adult coat and Jaspar looks like the lower half of his body is fuilled with static right now :lol: -- I only WISH it would all just get on with it and fall out at once! It shouldn't have anything to do with the spay. A lot of them do lose their puppy coats before age 1, going by other cavalier owners' stories.

2) That is a long, long day for a cavalier -- my two years olds are very fit and 2-3 hours of playing, walking, fetching balls at the park would have them comatose on the sofa for the rest of the day. :) At 7.5 months she is still a baby -- this would be like a child of 4 or 5 so think of what you'd expect from a little kid -- lots of bursts of energy and playing but not keeping up with adults on walks etc or having adult endurance. When she looks tired, that is the point to let her stop. This is important as her bones are still developing and you shouldn't push too much exercise on them as pups. Nothing really strenuous for long periods of time in other words. If the weather is warm be sure to have fresh cold water available especially for a pup as they can dehydrate easily and don't push too much if the weather is hot -- again keep in mind what a kid would tolerate. If she is playing a lot give water regularly. I take a small plastic dish and fill a small water bottle and take that in a backpack. Mine will easily drink the bottle even on a cool day if they are running and playing fetch.

Thanks for the advice. We did have water available for her, and we let her rest, so I was just a little concerned. Come to think of it, Scarlett and my five year old BOTH collapsed on the couch together when we got home. I think you hit the nail on the head; she was just a tired baby! I just worry too much!

Cedar has started shedding like crazy, too, and she's only 3 mo! I can see the longer hairs growing in. We have wood and tile floors, so I know what you mean about shoveling snow!

I wish we had a Bark in the Park here! I have had trouble even locating puppy classes!

MGMom, I often take mine to the park for a 2-mile walk and about 45 minutes of fetch to get just the result you did -- they are out cold for the rest of the day!! Especially nice to do if I know I am going to be going out as they are tired and happy and sleep like logs while I'm gone. :)

Back