Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rupert - op on Weds

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Rupert - op on Weds

Rupert had a dreadful night last Thursday, couldn't settle and kept digging in the bedding. I dosed him up with homoeopathy, thinking it was his teeth, as he'd refused food and only eaten when I soaked it - not like him! He had that every 2 hours...and within a minute or so would settle.

I took him to the vets the next morning - he had had some vomiting and loose motions for the previous 24 hours, and the vet felt a round object which appeared to be moving through so he may have been in pain from that.

He also has a little urine dribbling, he is going to be x-rayed in case its bladder stones, also have his prostate checked {although it may be due to the Syringomyelia}. He has two teeth which need to come out, they are causing him pain, so will have it all done at the same time. He's going to have blood tests to check liver and kidney function too - he was 9 in June, so I want to make sure things are ok.

Last night, he was really worrying at his penis, and I noticed some pus coming from it. I rang the vets this morning, and they started him on anitbiotics, and are going to investigate tomorrow.

The great news is that his heart is still clear! icon_banana

Please could you think positive thoughts for the wee fellow in the morning? I'll let you know when we have any news....
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nicki, what a terrible night for Rupert and for you. Poor fellow, that sounds like so many different things that might be making him uncomfortable. I sure hope it is something that can be taken care of easily and of course all of us here will be hoping he'll check out OK in the morning. Paws and fingers crossed.

That is just fantastic about his heart -- 9 and clear is excellent!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Rupert, I hope he is ok bless him.
    Sounds like he could have a touch of balanitis (discharge from penis) - I hope he doesn't have prostate trouble Nikki, if they find any inflammation I would be tempted to have him castrated (or is he?). Teddy went through no end of problems with his prostate and it was only stopped by castration when he ended up with a stone blocking his urethra and had to have a urethreostomy (sp?) they had to castrate him at the same time. He's never looked back!
    Will be thinking of you and Rupert tomorrow.
    Warm wishes,
    Ruth

Post Thanks / Like

Nicki - will be thinking of you all day tomorrow!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about you and Rupert today Nicki! sending positive thoughts and prayers as always. icon_heartthrob
    Anita, Gemma & Milly& Kizzy

Post Thanks / Like

We're thinking of you and Rupert today. It's so great to hear that at 9yrs his heart is clear, that's wonderful!
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone. After a worrying morning, the big fellow is home safe and sound!!! icon_banana

He has had some teeth removed, and a clean up {although they weren't too bad};

his bladder and prostrate are clear {so we suspect the urine dribbling is down to Syringo. or even his age};

Ruth you were right, he has a balanoposthitis {infection of the prepuce of the penis} so is on antibiotics for that;

his urine and blood tests showed slightly raised protein levels, the vet is not concerned at present, we're going to have a chat about it when I go in next week with Peaches.

I guess it is probably pretty normal for the kidneys to not be working quite so effectively at his age, we will monitor it and supplement as necessary.

He came through the anaesthetic ok, and is sleeping it off now. All in all pretty good! Lovely to have him home

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and good wishes, it really helps.

Ruth, poor Teddy - sorry he had all those problems. Glad it was sorted out though. Something to watch for with my TedBear, as he's not castrated and I'm not planning on having him done unless necessary, as he's not a problem.

{Rupert was castrated at about 15 months.}
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news Ruth, I'm glad everything checked out ok. Hopefully the meds will start working and he'll be feeling back to himself.

I'm curious about dribbling being related to SM, can you explain that?
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh poor fellow, that sounds very sore for his poor penis. Hm will have to watch for such boy things myself I guess. It's always great when you get them back home isn't it. I'd say 9 could well be the point at where he might have a little incontinence.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Nicki I am so pleased that Rupert is home safe and well. I hate it when they go through anaesthetics although I know how safe they are nowadays.
    You could always try a belly band if the incontinence gets too much. I have to put one on Pepys and Josh during the night now they are on diuretics.

He must feel better in himself once the anaesthetic has worn off.
    Don't forget the tussy peg fairy, how many biscuits is that he is due?

I hope your Teddy Edward doesn't have to endure what my Teddy Edward went through. He is just such a stoical little chap, but that op was a nightmare, being in a very vascular area, everytime he had a wee it was like a scene from the Texas Chainsaw massacre!! that went on for about 9 days.
    Anyway he is a different boy these days, (literally, he has a ladies bottom to wee out of now, his penis is obsolete!!).
    Warm wishes,
    Ruth