• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Odd behaviour???

Harry & Heidi's mom

Hi,

Harry is 6 months old today and he has a very annoying habit i need help with......

when we brought Harry home i let him sleep on my bed, this was fine as he was housetrained, then all of a sudden 2 months ago he started weeing on the bed, apart from this habit he is perfect in the house, clean in his own bed but he is still weeing on the beds :(

Now Harry sleeps in the kitchen, which i hate, but i can't afford to keep buying 2/3 duvets a week!!

how can i get him to stop???

HELP!!!!!!!!

Heather

I hate to say it, but it seems to me that his behavior is quite normal for a pup his age. BUT it's also a simple behavior to solve.

If I'm doing my math correctly...he started peeing on the bed when he was 4 months old? Is that right? In my opinion, he is most likely still too young to be sleeping all night in the bed. At 4 months his bladder may not be big enough to hold him all night long and if he's just loose on the bed he really has no way of telling you he needs to go. I suggest you put his crate up on a chair or low chest right by your bed (so he's at the same level as you when you're in the bed) and have him sleep there at night. When Chester was little he would scratch on his crate door to let me know he had to go out at night.

Chester stayed in his crate by my bed at night until he was around 8 months old and he has never once pee-peed indoors at night.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

he is dry all night, he slept in a crate since being with the breeder, it's just when he was a pup i didn't like to leave him so he went back in his crate in my room, but he cries now (as he wants on my bed) so he's in the kitchen.

it's not just when we are in bed, like tonight i was bathing the kids and sorting my son out afterwrds, he was sitting on my son's bed next to me and just wee'd! no reason at all!?!?!

2 weeks ago i had tidied up my daughters room, clean bedding and everything, just finished when harry jumped up on the bed and wee'd!?!?!

so it's not that i'm expecting him to stay dry all night it's a behaviour i need to nip in the bud.

Wow...that is rather odd. In that case I don't really know what to say. Maybe some of the breeders or long-time owners will have a better suggestion. Have you asked your vet about it?

Is he neutered?

I would get the vet to check him in case he has an infection or something that may be causing him to lose control.

Otherwise GudrunTheRed suggestion is very good - I've tried that myself. If Harry cries, then just say no in a firm voice {as long as you're sure he doesn't need to go potty} and ignore him. Only let him out if he is quiet. If necessary you could try squirting him with a water spray bottle.

looking-for-a-friend said:
Hi,

he is dry all night, he slept in a crate since being with the breeder, it's just when he was a pup i didn't like to leave him so he went back in his crate in my room, but he cries now (as he wants on my bed) so he's in the kitchen.
The crying sounds like he has some separtation issues but you should be able to break him of that pretty quickly. If you can stand it, just ignore the crying and he should stop pretty quick. I know it's hard to ignore him, but if he's anything like other Cavaliers I know, he is just being a spoiled baby and is just trying to get you to dote on him. We all dote and spoil out babies, but we all need to be careful not to create clingy brats that freak out when we leave the room or house.

Don't worry...your problem is normal enough, and all it takes is some persistence and patience to solve it.

hi,

thanks for the suggestions....

Harry sleeps in the kitchen and doesn't cry, he only cries if he's in his crate in my room (to get attention!!) , and he willingly goes in his crate when we put our coats on to go out, i just don't understand why he will wee on the beds and no where else???

I might be talking absolute rubbish here but, one thing has occured to me that it MIGHT be. If he's six months now, would he be becoming kinda sexually matue and possibly marking the beds. i'd imagine that the bed is probably where your scent would be at it's strongest and he could maybe be trying to impress his own scent over yours icon_nwunsure

Heather, it sounds to me like he is scent marking too. I had the same problem with one of my cats. He loved my hubby but he was MY baby and so everytime he got on the bed he peed on hubby's pillow :x

Does your son get into your bed with you? It could be that he is sensing that your son is the only other male in the house and so is trying to assert his authority over him :roll:

Have you ruled out a urinary tract infection? Dogs and cats can't tell us how they're feeling, so this behavior of urinating right in front of you is a common symptom of an infection. The animal is trying to say "Hey, mom! I don't feel good!"

Or he could be marking. Does he lift is leg when he does it?

Hi,

he only wee's on the beds, no where else, so 99% of the time he's fine (as i've stopped him going upstairs now!!)

i never thought of it as "marking", but i don't think it's to overscent my sons smell as he's wee'd on my daughters bed too.

i guess my boy's just growing up icon_yikes icon_yikes :(

Back