Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barking

Post Thanks / Like

I'm surprised to hear that so many of the cavs are barkers! Cedar hardly barks at all. She is young yet, though, so perhaps that will change. She knows how to bark. She barks at her chew bone. it's the craziest thing. she paws at it, barks and growls, bites it and throws it in the air, and then starts all over! She will give a quick bark if you ignore her too. But barking is her second choice. To get your attention, she will sit and blow air out her nose as if she's sneezing. I think when she really did sneeze she got so much attention right away, that she's figured out that fake sneezing 's a great way to get it! If you iggy the fake sneeze, then she lets out a little sharp "yip".

The chijuajuas next door are another story. They bark at the sky because it's blue! Funny thing is, though, that despite their endless barking at her when she's in the yard, Cedar has never barked back. she wants to go over and say hi, but she doesnt bark.

Post Thanks / Like

Audrey has become increasingly worse with barking. I am working on it and will try some of the ideas suggested here. The funny thing is that if she is tired and doesn't feel like barking she sneezes just like Cedar. It is really funny!!!

Post Thanks / Like

hehehehe Maybe fake sneezing is a sign of intelligence? Cedar is pretty darn good at it. She shakes her head and everything--I think she realized that the ear flopping makes her cuter and more likely to get attention. She deserves an acting award.

Post Thanks / Like

The sneezing makes me roll-it's all part of her "I'm gonna bark-you better be ready to play w/ me" routine....whenever she gets excited the sneezes come.

Post Thanks / Like

"I find that clapping my hands and saying 'Quiet' in a very firm voice usually works too."

I have tried this for a few days now with Reggie and am happy to say ..it's working. It only takes one loud firm clap with "Quiet"!!

His eyes bug out of his head...and the first time I think he wet himself..

But he is now listening to me and stops. and then knows he will get a treat for being good.

I have to say when he gets going ..it seemed nothing broke his need to bark and growl....so I am happy this is working.

Thanks for the info!!
    Kim
    Reggie, Honey & Missy
    Coloma, Michigan USA

Post Thanks / Like

I guess there will be alot of frightened dogs around the world tongiht with all these fireworks, you know i wont even go out with my kids as my dogs get so upset.

you cant stop them barking, and Max bless him really gets worked up, i know its crazy but i wish fireworks were quieter. i hate them
    thanks

Fidelma
    ------------------------------------
    The average dog is often a nicer person than the average person. Andrew A. Rooney