• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

barking

edel

I want to ask everyone what to do when barking becomes a problem. Lady is barking more and more every day. She barks are most things on the tv and we just cant sit down and enjoy it anymore because of this.

ive tried putting her out of the room every time she barks but she still barks the minute she comes back in.

Wat should i do?

hi edel

my lady barks all the time to! every little noise she hears she barks not at the tele though only when there are other dogs barking on it! when lady barks she is also jumping around going mental! i just stroke her and she soon calms down to just little growls

sarah xx

Barking, as I understand it, is a tough one to break. I have personal experience to back that statement up too!! My three Cavs have a barking problem that is exagerated by having a "pack" of dogs. I find the best thing to do to get them to stop is clap my hands over thier heads really loud and give them a "QUIET!!!" icon_yikes command. I let them know by the sound of my voice I mean business. However, when they are in the backyard and another dog comes by, forget it, I can't even be heard by any of them, they are so loud. We are consistantly working on it and sometimes I think I am getting through to them!

My dad had some dogs next door to his house that were really a nusance with the barking. Dad took two short pieces of 2X4 and clapped them together whenever they started barking at him. The dogs soon learned and were quiet so my parents could enjoy their backyard.

I was just going through my evening routine and remembered something else I do for barking. After I clap my hands and sternly say "QUIET", I praise them for being silent. I think I shock them into silence! They look at me in absolute disbelief! I can't believe I forgot to add the praise. Sorry!! :oops:

What's worked for us is a water spray bottle!! Mos Cavaliers don't like being squirted, and generally just the sight of the bottle is enough to stop them barking.

Just be careful not to hit the sensitive areas, such as the eyes though - and really praise them when they go quiet. You could introduce a command, such as "QUiet".

Usually if you shout too, they think you are joining in and this makes them bark more.

I find that clapping my hands and saying 'Quiet' in a very firm voice usually works too.

Luckily, Maxx has never really been a 'barky' dog but Holly, our foster rescue was. She'd have barked 24/7 if we'd let her. However, within a few weeks of consistency she had calmed right down and only barked if there was someone at the door or someone walked past the fence at the back, which wasn't such a bad thing ;)

When I phone Alison, she puts her phone on loudspeaker and I call her dogs - they all go mad, running round barking :lol:

Startling the dog into silence (and others give a couple of examples of how this can be done humanely, not through frightening or harming the dog) and then immediately giving the command quiet as they go quiet and then giving praise is a good way to get them to understand that the silence is associated with the word 'quiet' and the praise is for doing this.

A quick distraction from an unwanted activity and then praise for the correct behaviour is a key way of training away from something you don't want them to do. Some people also train a "bark" command then a "no bark" command, or speak and no speak.

However many of these techniques work wheile the dog is around you but not when out in the garden. But your problem seems to be primarily in the house. It is important to work on this or you can find you have a companion you do not enjoy! Just be gentle and firm and consistent.

Hi, i have this problem with Max, he barks at seemingly nothing, inside or out..... he barks at any animal noise on the TV and yes the door bell goes and silence!!

Cloe doesnt bark, but her problem is she has scraped teh wood of my back dor if i dont let her in quickly enough, so i got myself a water gun, and like you say she just has to see it, i do not let her in if she has scraped and only let her in when she sits quietly, and i praise her, but in saying this i ahve been doing this a year and she still scrapes and he still barks. wonder what new pup will do please god dont let her pick up both bad habits!!!!

Sadie id not usually a barker but she has discovered that in the morning when we open the back door to let her out, the light comes in and as the door opens the light runs across the carpet. She LOVES to chase this light so now everyday in the mornings she barks constantly trying to get someone to stand there and open and close the door. I refuse to stand there and open and close the door, but my kids think its funny to watch her chase the light they will stand there and entertain her.

Ritizi and Ginger only really bark if horses go past or other dogs.

Now Bailey whos 1.5 years is another story. I thought it was because he was a rescue dog, but now from hearing other stories maybe its just cos he's a cavalier... lol

Anyway, he barks at everything and anything ! The worse thing is that Ruby as shes only 6 months hangs on everything he does and now shes started.

I must try the water thing !

I'm surprised to hear that so many of the cavs are barkers! Cedar hardly barks at all. She is young yet, though, so perhaps that will change. She knows how to bark. She barks at her chew bone. it's the craziest thing. she paws at it, barks and growls, bites it and throws it in the air, and then starts all over! She will give a quick bark if you ignore her too. But barking is her second choice. To get your attention, she will sit and blow air out her nose as if she's sneezing. I think when she really did sneeze she got so much attention right away, that she's figured out that fake sneezing 's a great way to get it! If you iggy the fake sneeze, then she lets out a little sharp "yip".

The chijuajuas next door are another story. They bark at the sky because it's blue! Funny thing is, though, that despite their endless barking at her when she's in the yard, Cedar has never barked back. she wants to go over and say hi, but she doesnt bark.

Audrey has become increasingly worse with barking. I am working on it and will try some of the ideas suggested here. The funny thing is that if she is tired and doesn't feel like barking she sneezes just like Cedar. It is really funny!!!

hehehehe Maybe fake sneezing is a sign of intelligence? Cedar is pretty darn good at it. She shakes her head and everything--I think she realized that the ear flopping makes her cuter and more likely to get attention. She deserves an acting award.

The sneezing makes me roll-it's all part of her "I'm gonna bark-you better be ready to play w/ me" routine....whenever she gets excited the sneezes come.

"I find that clapping my hands and saying 'Quiet' in a very firm voice usually works too."

I have tried this for a few days now with Reggie and am happy to say ..it's working. It only takes one loud firm clap with "Quiet"!!

His eyes bug out of his head...and the first time I think he wet himself.. :)

But he is now listening to me and stops. and then knows he will get a treat for being good.

I have to say when he gets going ..it seemed nothing broke his need to bark and growl....so I am happy this is working.

Thanks for the info!!

I guess there will be alot of frightened dogs around the world tongiht with all these fireworks, you know i wont even go out with my kids as my dogs get so upset.

you cant stop them barking, and Max bless him really gets worked up, i know its crazy but i wish fireworks were quieter. i hate them

Back