• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

changing puppy from usual diet

cleopatra

i want to know how to wean my new pup from what her breeder is feeding her to a new diet that i got her, i am not sure what the breeder has been feeding her, but i will want to put her on clinivet as soon as possible, whats the best way to do this without upsetting her, and can it be done as soon as she comes home?

I would recommend feeding her whatever the breeder has been feeding her for a couple weeks after you get her. One less big change immediately in her life. Let her get used to her new home before you add another change.

The way we have always changed food is to mix 75% old and 25% new food for a week, then 50-50 for a week, then 25-75 for a week, and finally all new.

Good luck with your new puppy!

thanks bruce,good advice, i feel like a nervous first time mum.
we went to the pet shop yesterday and got jasmine everything she will need for now, i spent a small fortune, but i know she will be worth every penny.
me my husband and my mum are counting down the days till she comes home, i have never been so excited in my whole life :D

we went to the pet shop yesterday and got jasmine everything she will need for now,

:lol: heehee I can tell you one small fortune after another will be spent... there's always another toy, another bed, another cute collar... :)

:lol: ..karlin your dead right about that, i went to jollye's pet shop in lurgan, its massive and i could have bought a lot more cute doggie things, that shop is pure heaven for woof woof owners, i cant wait to get back to get more goodies, but i will have to sneak the bank card out of my hubby's wallet again, cause he will hide it if i tell him i need to go get more stuff for the dog..
also the dog cage i bought for jasmine is big enough to fit my husband into, so when he comes home late he will be put straight into it and jasmine will be in the bed with me :D

karlin said:
:lol: heehee I can tell you one small fortune after another will be spent... there's always another toy, another bed, another cute collar... :)

LOL isn't there just? Thing is, it's mugs like me who buy them! I spent a fortune on this gorgeous hand made wrought iron bed for Maxx it was like a four poster without the canopy and had a beautiful hand made cushion for him to snuggle down on. he took one look at it, huffed and then went and lay on his old bed! Little demon refused to have anything to do with it and so about 6 mths later I sold it on eBay for a fraction of what it'd cost me :roll:

lol..thats just typical of pets isnt it?....if they had to buy all the stuff themselves they wouldnt turn their noses up at things....max probably thought that he would look like a big girl sleeping in a bed like that :)

That's why it is useful to have a variety of dogs and cats... if one doesn't like something you've bought, inevitably another will... :lol:

The best cat item I bought was a floor to celing cat tree, as now I keep their food bowl there up away from the dogs!!

The best dog thing was a cheap tray of Christmas toys I got as a package just before I got my first puppy, Jaspar. Every one of those cheap cheap vinyl toys has remained a favourite until each except one has died a chewed up death and been thrown out. The expensive ones are considerably less interesting!!

Which reminds me: I am going to start a thread on favourite toys in the General section. I encourage people to list what their cavaliers enjoy playing with. I'll eventually copy it and put it in the information section as a permanent source of ideas for people.

Back