• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

peas n carrots

Moviedust

Since receiving some advice about supplementing Cedar's kibble with veggies, I've incorporated peas and carrots to her meals about once a day. She had been getting carrots as snacks; she loves those. She likes to chew them mostly, I think, but she does clean up after herself by eating the little bits that are everywhere. I chop the carrots up when they go in her kibble. She will eat them, but she picks the peas out first. She's even taken to grabbing a mouthful of food, spitting it out on the floor, and then picking out the peas. It is safe to say she loves the peas. The problem seems to be that she stop eating the kibble! She will even leave a pile of rejected kibble on the floor!

She will eat the kibble later, especially if she doesnt get any more food til the kibble is gone. But it certainly has changed her eating habits!

Is this behavior normal for a dog whose diet has recently been supplemented?

You could try mashing the peas up, either with a fork or a food processor, then she would have to eat the kibble as well.

You may want to try canned pumpkin as well. Most seem to love it and it's very good for them. Plus, it's mashed, so it sticks to their kibble and they then have no choice but to eat it all. ;)

Thanks for the tip, jen. I've heard you mention using pumpkin before. But you also said something about being certain to know which kind of canned pumpkin to get. I'm an idiot when it comes to food; what brand of pumpkin works the best?

Whatever brand is fine, but just be sure to buy the pure pumkin, not the kind used for pies. It will say which one it is on the label. The one used for pies has additives.

I am guessing Jen means the plain pumpkin is fine (It is used for pies, but you have to add your own salt and spices etc -- I don;t think canned pumpkin is used for much of anything else than pies!) -- it is the pie mix type, that has added salt and spices that you don't want to use. So though they are both used for pies, one is plain pumpkin and one is the pumpkin pie mix pumpkin, that has other stuff in it. If I am making any sense at all. :roll:

Update on Cedar's diet:

We have discontinued the peas. She never full digested them and they caused the problems I mentioned earlier with pickiness.

I am using the pumpkin now. She doesnt seem to like it AS much as the peas, but she still digs in like a little piggy. It certainly has helped with firming up her stools. In fact, I think her stools had been too loose before and now she has issues with anal glands.

So, we are switching Cedar's food to Wellness (which is the only WDJ recommended kibble in our town!). Hopefully, she will adjust fine. We will take it slowly, and I'll let you know how it goes!

Try a little cottage cheese sometime as a treat. Scarlett will dance for her cottage cheese! Also, it is good for their coats.

Yes, giving them too many treats does seem to spoil them--or at least Scarlett gets spoiled VERY FAST. I mix the kibble in with the cottage cheese so she can't cull out the kibble.

I must be hungry, because the mention of cottage cheese makes me drool! I hardly ever buy it for myself, but I do every now and then as a special treat. hehehe I dont know how cedar would get her share if I bought some. I'm such a food addict I'd gobble it up first!!

I give it a try, though, and see what she thinks of it. We picked up some Natures Variety Ultra dog biscuits when we went to the pet shop. She's only ever had carrots as treats, but the vet staff generally give her a little biscuit when we go in. They arent the highest quality stuff, and cedar eats them more for the attention than the treats. These, though, she absolutely loves! She's kinda pushy about them, too; she got quite upset when I told her it was all gone (i'd broken up the treat into little bits and fed them to her individually.).

Morning Moviedust! I have been reading this latest stream on your diet problems and have a lot of good information! You asked a good question, thanks! :) I am having problems getting WDJ approved dog food for my dogs too. Our town is too small. I can get Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul and will be switching my guys in the next couple of weeks. If that doesn't settle with them, I will have to order something on the internet or drive to Kearney. I am also going to try the pumpkin to get Molly to eat. She came to us eating plain yogurt mixed in her kibble and got tired of that so I changed to Pro Plan canned puppy food. Just enough to moisten her food and she went bonkers over it! Now she is tired of that so I am looking for another tasty coating to encourage her to eat.

I know what you mean about finding quality food in a small town! We have three pet shops in town, each of them is really quite small. Two of the three sell puppies (as well as an assortment of birds, fish, hampsters, etc. etc.). They do not sell quality food hardly at all--but what do you really expect if they sell animals in petstores? The third store is a bit better; this is where we finally found Wellness and Natures Variety Ultra. (They dont sell dogs/cats, rabbits, etc., either. Go figure.) The store isnt very large, though. They seem to sell more of the Science Diet food. The others are stuck on a little shelf at the back!

The closest big, discount dog store is in Topeka, an hour from where we live. So the Internet will be our next step if the Wellness doesnt work out.

Well the darling little rescue we've just adopted is a nightmare with his food.

Maxx has always been so good and wolfs down his James Wellbeloved. Charlie however, only likes fresh chicken and this food that I can only describe as the junk food of the dog world.

I am slowly trying to wean him off it but he's so stubborn I think he'd rather starve then eat the decent stuff LOL :lol: :roll:

Oh dear! These little dogs can be such a challange. You just can't fool those sharp little noses! Good luck with Charlie, I just know you will succeed and convince him better is good! :D :badgrin:

Back