Thread: handheld MRIs and better x-rays?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default handheld MRIs and better x-rays?

This is part of the editorial on a human SM information site -- I hadn;t heard about either of these dveelopments:

A research group from Princeton recently announced a breakthrough which may lead to cheap, hand-held MRI's. Imagine how much more quickly Chiari would be diagnosed if front-line physicians could quickly, cheaply, and easily scan the brain and spine. Also recently, there has been a renewed focus on a specific type of x-ray, known as phase contrast x-ray, which is incredibly accurate (more so than MRI's) at imaging soft tissue, and is cheap as well.
    From http://www.conquerchiari.org/subs%20only/Volume%203/Issue%203(10)/Editorial%203(10).asp

Sounds promising!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting Karlin, I wonder if the hand held MRI's would still need the dogs anaesthetising?
    If immobility is the name of the game, how will they achieve that with a hand held device I wonder? however, great news if it brings the cost down.
    Ruth

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin,

Can you post this to the CKCS-SM board? This sounds promising.

Thanks
    Kathleen

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Ruth, it sounds really interesting but what if the dogs still have to be kept immobile? I will freely admit that MRI's scare the hell out of me. I have had to have a few myself and just going into that tunnel makes me panic.

I do see being advertised on the tv now though, an open scanner - how brilliant is that?

Maybe they could just give the dogs a light sedative instead of a general anaesthetic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Skerritt uses a light anesthetic and not a full general. You are right about the mobility -- what can be used for people might not work for dogs!!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com