• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

handheld MRIs and better x-rays?

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
This is part of the editorial on a human SM information site -- I hadn;t heard about either of these dveelopments:

A research group from Princeton recently announced a breakthrough which may lead to cheap, hand-held MRI's. Imagine how much more quickly Chiari would be diagnosed if front-line physicians could quickly, cheaply, and easily scan the brain and spine. Also recently, there has been a renewed focus on a specific type of x-ray, known as phase contrast x-ray, which is incredibly accurate (more so than MRI's) at imaging soft tissue, and is cheap as well.

From http://www.conquerchiari.org/subs%20only/Volume%203/Issue%203(10)/Editorial%203(10).asp

Sounds promising!

Very interesting Karlin, I wonder if the hand held MRI's would still need the dogs anaesthetising?
If immobility is the name of the game, how will they achieve that with a hand held device I wonder? however, great news if it brings the cost down.
Ruth

I agree with Ruth, it sounds really interesting but what if the dogs still have to be kept immobile? I will freely admit that MRI's scare the hell out of me. I have had to have a few myself and just going into that tunnel makes me panic.

I do see being advertised on the tv now though, an open scanner :D - how brilliant is that?

Maybe they could just give the dogs a light sedative instead of a general anaesthetic?

Skerritt uses a light anesthetic and not a full general. You are right about the mobility -- what can be used for people might not work for dogs!!

Back