• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on scratching

edel

As i mentioned before Lady scratches her ears and neck alot especially at night. Of course i immediately feared SM but im hoping for the best so I took her to the vet. He said she may have mites. He checked and couldnt see anything and there wasnt any smell or discharge.

Anyway he gave me drops to put in her ears twice a day just to rule out the mights or yeast infection. Its also for ear infections (which i dont think it is).

I started her on it yesterday and she scratched again like mad in bed last night :( But she will be on her meds for 2 weeks so i have to be patient and wait and see.

Please pray with me that this is what her problem is and that the meds will sort it out.

fingers crossed. Scratching is really maddening. I get frustrated with my two when they get like that and then have to remind myself that they are uncomfortable. After a couple of days of not scratching I realize...thank goodness they are scratching anymore!!

Edel -

Rory and I will be sending lots of positive thoughts to you and Lady. Definitely hoping it's not SM, but if it is - this is the right place to come for info. Did you print out the SM forms for your vet? That way you your vet can read up on it while you try the ear drops.

www.sm.cavaliertalk.com

I did mention SM to him unfortunately he has never heard of it so if the drops dont work, when i return to the vet i will bring the print off with me.

Let's hope it's mites. It could also be PSOM -- the 'glue ear' that cavaliers get in large numbers. Did he also check for rabbit mites with a skin scrape? These are really, really itchy and Jaspar had them as a pup.

Fintan at Botanic Vets in Dublin (anicare.ie) is the one of my vets that best knows about SM. Your vet could call him though he won;t be really familiar with treatments; however he has read up on exisiting info and is the main person who sees Leo (my fellow with SM).

Drops would take a few days to help so just wait and see how it goes.

Back