• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Matting

Jen

It seems I'm always combing out matts from Abbey's armpits. Is there some way to prevent this?? Anyone else with this problem? :?

:lol:

Some people have said they keep this area trimmed but I find when you cut back to any evenish length then the stubby bits mat... :roll: It does help if you keep them brushed under there so the mats don;t get time to build up but mine always seem to have tangled pits!!

Maybe I need to do it daily rather than the 2-3 times a week I'm doing now. At least she doesn't fight it, she lays on her sides and holds her arm up for me! :lol:

Can anyone recommend a good brush? The kind I'm using now has regular bristles on one side and metal ones on the other. Spencer's ears have been getting tangled towards the bottom. I think it's b/c he has to sniff absolutely EVERY blade of grass and fallen leaf when we walk in the morning. The dew's been heavy so his ears are wet when we come in.

Thank you,

Whintey

I've bought a Mason Pearson brush and just love it. I no longer use the wire bristle brush or a pin brush. I have my comb on hand for bad knots but the brush really works wonders. I use the pocket size with board and bristle mixed.

Jen
I comb Dudley every day, and the times that I get lazy and don't he
gets some pretty nasty matts around his bottom. icon_yikes icon_yikes
My middle son is constantly checking him for mats and always lets me
know if I missed one. icon_whistling icon_whistling
I also use a detangler and find a comb works much better than any of
those wire brushes those I found hurt him. :( :( :(
He sits so nicely as I always give him a treat after his brushing. icon_banana icon_banana icon_banana

We use a Greyhound comb and it works really well for mats and for pulling any dead hair up. She loves being brushed for about 10 minutes, then she just gets up and walks away! :lol:

I use a Mikki fine slicker brush on Maxx as his coat is like cotton wool (he hasn't got a normal Cavalier coat as he suffers from carpet coat), his groomer calls him a wooly bear!!!!

The Mikki slickers aren't like regular slickers as they are really fine and I've run it down my arm more than once to make sure it doesn't hurt him. He obviously likes it anyway becuase as soon as he sees his brushes and combs he runs and sits down waiting for me & will in fact go to sleep whilst he's being groomed LOL

I brush him every day but also spend a good hour about twice a week stripping out all the knots and matts - last night he was lying on my lap and I found loads of them that were 'fresh' - I know I'd brushed, combed and trimmed them all out yesterday morning!

Oh yes, I wouldn't recommend a 'knot stripper' either. they are complete rubbish and actually hurt the furbabies......

I have a trick that I used on my horses tail and it seems to work great on Reggie keeping his hair very smooth and smelling wonderful!!

Infusium23 leave in conditioner.... For people ...it comes in a tiny spray bottle option that is great to keep by the bed so he gets treated nightly.

Stops dry skin and everything.

With the horses I would get the big bottle and soak the horse in it after its bath. He was silky smooth.

Before you cut the hair icon_yikes try it ....

Good Luck

All the horse people here swear by it. ;)

Thank you for the suggestions on brushes. Can I buy them at a regular pet store?

Cathy T- I have a Mason Pearson brush I use on my own hair. Do you use a regular human one or do they also make dog brushes?

Thank you!

Linda said:
Maxx's Mom What is a carpet coat and a Mikki Fine Slicker Brush???????

Carpet coat is something that can happen to their coats after they have been neutered when very young. Maxx was only 6 mths but one of his testicles hadn't dropped and when they scanned him to find out if it was going to drop, they found it was stuck to his rib cage. The Vet thought it best to remove it as it wasn't going to drop and could have turned cancerous.

Their coats become very thick and fluffy, almost like soft cotton wool and they just grow and grow :shock: . Last time Maxx went to the groomers she had 4 bags of fur from him :shock:

He is like a big wooly bear but does get very knotty and so needs lots more grooming than Charlie does.

Here's what a website said about Mikki brushes....
The slicker brushes are designed to be used with a soft stroking action, enabling the shaped stainless steel pins to ease tangles and matts and remove loose/dead hairs from the undercoat leaving the top coat clean and healthy.

http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/page...EHAQ_+mikki+soft+slicker+med+6275+303&cid=880

They have very soft edges to the pins so don't scratch or dig into the furbabies' skin.

I never use any brushes or combs on my babies' coats unless I first test them on the skin on my arms (no, I'm not ultra hairy, I just like to make sure they won't scratch or hurt them).

Spencer'sMom said:
Cathy T- I have a Mason Pearson brush I use on my own hair. Do you use a regular human one or do they also make dog brushes?Thank you!

It's a regular human hairbrush. I don't even own one, heck only the best for the dogs, I'll just use a conair plastic vent brush for myself :D

Another tip is to use a metal flea comb. I spray the mat with the Infusium 23 Leave-In treatment (as Kimmisue mentioned - it works great!), and just tease the mat out with the flea comb. It's works perfectly, as long as you use a metal one!

Back