Thread: Licking

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Licking

As it says in the title

Cody is a licker. She licks blankets, duvets, shoes, carpet, cushions, bookshelves, walls, u name it A quick 'stop' and she gives it up but i'm wondering if there's a reason behind it? Is it a Cav trait or could it be a sign of something medical or dietry?

Post Thanks / Like

Abbey is a licker too, but not really to the extent you're describing. She mainly just licks us and the cats when she can catch them.

It does seem to be a Cav trait though, as others have posted about it as well. Maybe try redirecting her with something she can lick-a bone, a toy, etc.
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

I always keep a toy on stand-by for when she starts, maybe i should just pin down on of the cats for her

Post Thanks / Like

It is pretty funny watching Abbey try to play with one of our cats--just different play styles, they don't so much like to bit on the neck as she doesn't so much like to be swatted at!!
    It's actually kind of pathetic, but it makes for good humor!
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

I posted a similar post a while back. Cedar is a licker too! It gets really annoying, as she LOVES to lick your hands/arms/any exposed skin. (It's a great torture device if you're rough housing with someone: pin'em down and call the dog to lick their exposed belly!) If Cedar can't lick someone skin, she'll moves to clothes. She likes my husband's jeans. If she's on the carpet, she picks out a spot and licks away. (We just bought the house a few months ago; no idea what could be on that carpet!). She doesnt lick herself much, though. I guess she doesnt think she tastes as well as other things!

I have not found a way to stop her licking. When it gets too disgusting on my skin, I put her down on the floor. <shrugs>

Post Thanks / Like

Reggie is too... he even licks the window now that it is cold and snowing out.
    If he gets bad about it when I am holding him ....I just say ENOUGH..

That seems to work. He knows the tone of my voice..and that he will be put down if he doesn't stop.
    Kim
    Reggie, Honey & Missy
    Coloma, Michigan USA