Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moan

Post Thanks / Like

Fi, I always trim my boys' bits and bobs (well, they don't have any bobs as they've been done but you catch my drift ? !!!!

Maxx is such a grotbox that he never washes himself & thinks it's my job I also have to wash his tummy once a week as he squats instead of lifting his leg & tends to wee up it

Post Thanks / Like

oh i am so glad you said that, as my Max doesnt cock his leg, but i didnt liek to say as was embarraced!!!!!! figured he watched Cloe and was never thought to lift, yet my pups from last year knew to do it and they were not tought, he used to look at them and you could nearly see the cogs moving!!!!!

then he would cock for a few days while they were there, adn then cock in the house!!! thought he had enough problems without broadcasting he wee's like a girl!!!!!!!!!
    thanks

Fidelma
    ------------------------------------
    The average dog is often a nicer person than the average person. Andrew A. Rooney

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jaspar ususally does his first long wee as a squat, then lifts his leg for the rest of his walks to add his sprinkles here and there...

I have been told that trimming the hair on their penis actually causes them to wee all over themselves far worse then if you leave it grow, where it forms a kind of 'wick' and channels the urine into a stream. I found this was true after Jaspar was neutered and they trimmed his wick and he tended to spray rather than go in a stream til it grew back.

Fi you shouldn't need to trim the pups if this is what you are talking about doing?; indeed they aren't supposed to have their hair cut and some people say once you start to trim their coat it comes back coarser and curlier. I don;t think pups would need nails trimmed or anything yet (I never trim my dogs' nails though they get walked several times daily on pavement and that seems to keep them at a good length). I'd check with a vet. If I were buying a puppy I'd want all the coat there including the penis hair for the above reason!! I do truly believe you cause more hygiene problems by removing that wick hair thean by leaving it. This was the general concensus in a couple of discussions in the long past on this issue on another board and another list.

I do trim back Leo's stomach hair where it grows long; he tends to wee on it. But not all dogs have this issue and certainly shouldn;t be evaluated in this way for trimming off penis hair or long hair, I think, til they are getting their full coat and also beginning to lift their leg and so on. I know many do trim their cavaliers which isn't the breed standard; personally I would never do it; to me the whole point of owning these dogs (well along with the personality!) is their beautiful long coat. I'd hate to see puppies trimmed when they are only just getting their little coats.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

No i am not talking about thier coat, only trimming thier wick as you put it, nice way of putting it had not heard that before!!

anyway i have cut thier nails under my Vets advice plus it was my vet who told me to cut this hair, i like you do not agree with cutting Cavaliers hair either.

If i had not cut thier nails they would have made the mother bleed more than they had done already. i have also had to cut Cloe's nails as she has not been out for her walks now, but she will be getting back into the habbit now this weekend!!!!!!

i find it somewhat hard to deal with conflicting advice, as at teh end of the day you want to do what is best for your Pups and dogs. i have created a leaving pack for my new owners, consisting of lots of goodies. hope they like it as well as thier new addition!

i got nothing when i got my first pup and i had to try to find food she liked which was hard. i think good breeders offer not jsut a pup but a support part as well to help the transition for both owner and breeder and of course pup!

going back to the topic, i may not cut teh babies wick now, as what you say is actually very logical, but i am confused as to why i have been told to do it regularry.... maybe this is the cause of him not cocking??
    thanks

Fidelma
    ------------------------------------
    The average dog is often a nicer person than the average person. Andrew A. Rooney