• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Otitis media

Forest

Hi,
Just querying to see if anyone knows much about this. My 3 year old girl may have otitis media. She has been on antibiotics for 6 weeks as she has a swollen ear drum. My vet has been checking up with the university vets as he has not seen this in 10 years. She may have to have an x-ray for a diagnosis or possible operation. He said it is only because she is a cav and is soooo good that he can actually see it. Anyone had this problem before?
Julie

Don't know much about this, but Karlin has posted some information on this board under "Health Issues". Look for PSOM and Glue Ear.

Yes! Very common in the breed. My boy, Rory, and Karlin's Jaspar both have primary secretory otitis media. There is a thread on it in the Health Section, I believe. She just put it up. But the link that Rod provided is very good, too.

Maxx has got PSOM too, we just have ear wash and drops to deal with it. Surgery is very often not carried out because it sometimes takes two or three goes before it is clear :?

Maxx is almost totally deaf in one ear because of it but he gets by with hand signals :)

I don;t know if they use XRays to view this; they can usually use a scope to examine the bulging tympanum or else they use an MRI (the unviersity vets should know). I have a link to an academic paper on the subject which you can buy online for just $12.95, this is very worth getting for yourself and for your vet to read through and maybe the university vets who might not realise how prevalent this is in the breed. There's also a good artcile by Betsey Lynch on treating a cavalier with this.

If it doesn;t cause a lot of discomfort you can leave them (both mine have it and it probably affects their hearing somewhat but that is it) but it can get quote serious for some cavaliers.

Little Annie-Belle (tri) has PSOM, it was found whe she had the MRI for SM.

Sadly she has both conditions.

Symptoms can be like SM, head shaking and face rubbing and scratching, she has it in both ears, she tips her head from side to side when you talk to her, perhaps she is a little deaf I don't know. I can't say it bothers her, she remains to be a little monkey!

Alison, Wilts, UK.

Back