• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Max' Syndrome

Fi

Ok i had to ring the vet as all the babys and my dogs are due thier vaccinations, so had to ring the vet to see if Max could ahve his, and he can't, so while on the phone i got the name of the syndrome for you.

Eosinophilia Syndrome

I found a web site for it but as of yet not had time to read it

http://www.candog.com/cavaliers/Health/allergy.htm

not sure it is too good, id ratehr read soemthing to tell me symptoms, the causes and treatments and possible lenght of illness or if it is life long , like asthma.

anyway any help words of wisdom or advice greatly apricated. X

Pic of Max for you dont think i have posted one before

max.jpg

Well, it sounds like an autoimmune disease that can affect various organs so iot depends on what Max has (eg what it affects). It can affect heart, lungs and other internal organs, the digestic system, or muscles among other things. All of these things would be different, from what I can make out though the info out there is really technical/medical and mostly beyond having much meaning for me as a lay reader! I can see what you mean about it being confusing.

I think it is easier to understand if you look at the desciprion for the human version of this.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/eosinophilia.htm

Here's the introduction:

What are eosinophils?

An eosinophil is a type of white blood cell.

Eosinophils are produced in the bone marrow and are normally found in the bloodstream and the gut lining. They contain proteins that help the body to fight infection from parasitic organisms, such as worms. But in certain diseases these proteins can damage the body.

What is eosinophilia?

The term eosinophilia refers to conditions in which abnormally high amounts of eosinophils are found in either the blood or in body tissues.

Oh Fi, poor little Max. He's a gorgeous boy alright, he's got those lovely freckles on his nose like my Charlie's got :D

I hope they can get his condition under control, none of these babies deserve to suffer :? Big hugs for you both xx

Thank you. he is a pet alright, and it is so unfail, as for what area it affects..... well his muscles are affected, his digestion, his eyes, there isnt much not affected , he has ulsers and oh dear the list goes on

Max was re admitted to the hospital last night: he will have blood tests and scans today, and on Thursday he will have a scope and other tests....

The vet has advised me to get Max sterlised after we have [hopefully] sorted out everything else. He said htat due to teh fact I couldnt breed from him anyway, due to a number of factors, it will make for a healthy boy and avoid prostrate cancer late on in life.

So MAx has a busy road ahead of him.... i feel bad going ahead with the castration, but if its a case of me hurting him a little now to prevent someting more serious later on, then i must do it.

Fi,
So very to hear Max is ill. It sounds like you are travelling a very tricky road with him. Keep the faith! We are all here pulling for you.

JaneB

Fi Im so sorry Max isnt feeling well icon_flowers

icon_crssedfingers and paws for Thursday

Having met Max the is even nicer in the flesh and fur icon_banana

Fi -
So sorry your poor Max isn't feeling well. I hope they are able to figure outwhat's wrong w/ him soon and he will be feeling better soon!! Don't worry about the neuter -- most dogs hardly notice!! :)

Hope all goes well for Thursday Fi. We will be keeping all our fingers and eight cheesy paws crossed for you and Max. icon_heartthrob

Poor fellow; let us know as soon as he's out and about. Rory is right; neutering is a very minor procedure. A bit of licking for a day and mine never even noticed after that. Both were playing as soon as the sleepiness wore off and you'd never think they'd had anything done.

thanks for that guys....

the vet in the hospital i ahve to say is excelent, he rings me when he has any news and lets me know exactly how Max is doing....

the news however is mixed.... yesterday they did a scan and some blood tests, and nothing really abnormal his red blood cells were low i think he said which would be normal for this condition..... however they found nothing hugly outside normal peramaters.... they have taken stool samples, [oh joy!!!] and because they have to clear him out his op is now put back to Friday, dont know if they plan to starve him or flush him, i didnt want to know so didnt ask! either option isnt nice for him..... he loves his food! what man doesnt!!!

You know what i love about pasionate dog owners and lovers....... they refer to thier pet as part of the human race, like when i ring the vet i say its Max's Mam, and i talk about them as my children, and everyone onhere is the same its so lovely.

The down side is if the scope comes back with in normal peramaters we are back to square one. not that i want Max to be ill but i think you know what i mean here. its frustrating for both Vet and owner.

I have decided to get him done when he is well enough. as another possitive is that when Cloe goes into heat i wont have to send him away for 3 weeks any more.

Just to give you an update:

the hospital rang to say that although Max's results showed massive infection, they were over all inconclusive.

how disapointing is that, so we are none the wiser and no closer to deciding what to do.

Back