Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppia Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Default Puppia Problems

I took Lady for a walk last night on her puppia harness and lead. all of a sudden the clasp on the lead gave way and she darted off down the road. icon_yikes

I tried running after her but she only ran even more. I just kneeled down on the ground and called her to me willing her to come back. I should mention that our walk is next to a busy road and it would have been very easy for her to run out in front of the traffic.

Needless to say i am very upset that this happened, it put my girl in danger. icon_furious

Does anyone know what recourse i am entitled to? What would you do?
    Edel
    I love you Lady

Post Thanks / Like

Default Please note

Please note....My mum found on a website the other day not to let Cavliers wear harnesses due to their bone structure, I have asked her to try and find it and will post, please be careful...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, please let us know when you find this information. Thanks!
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Post Thanks / Like

Did the leash let go or the harness? I have had this problem with different kinds of leashes before. It certainlyl is scary! I think you should let Puppia know. Perhaps they have had others have this problem? I've just been using my old leather leash on Rory's harness, without problem, so can't offer up any experience there. So sorry you had a scare!! Glad your little girl is OK!.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about this nasty scare Edel - thank goodness your little one has a good recall. You did the right thing dropping to the ground - makes them wonder what you are looking at!

Also chasing them makes them think it's a game...

I would suggest you contact Puppia - this is very worrying.

With regard to harnesses and bone structure, there is a piece about harnesses in the November pet pages on the UK cavalier club site -http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html
    Cavaliers as pets, previous issues.

Basically though they are most concerned with ruining the dogs' movement for the show ring, if they pull in a harness.

Personally I feel that there is more risk of damaging their neck - especially with extending leads, and particularly with the high incidence of Syringomyelia, so I would always recommend a harness - and teach the dog not to pull.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think this is nonsense, as surely vets will agree. How could a pulling dog possibly deform its movement simply by pulling against what is essentially a soft chest brace (as opposed to throttling itself by pulling hard on a collar, which CAN cause tracheal damage?)? Esepcially only during the time it is taken for walks? I have found that many show people are SURE all dogs, when put in a harness, pull and are untrainable. I think this is because few of them use harnesses and are very prejudiced against them and see them as not 'serious' enough -- but many who DO have also posted to lists on this issue before and say they always send their new puppies to new owners with harnesses. My own vets strongly recommend them for any small breed and the first time I brought Jaspar in, one noted with approval that he was on a harness. They feel this is much safer for all breeds of small dogs on walks than a collar for a range of reasons.

Where this pets column is right is in saying, take an obedience class so that your dog learns to walk politely and not pull. Whether this is done with the dog in collar or harness makes ABSOLUTELY no difference to the training, as my dog trainer and certified behaviouralist friends Lisa and Tara of Dog Training Ireland, who are on this board, have said to me before.

There's a much more pressing reason for cavaliers to wear harnesses and not collars for walks and that is becauser it is recommended by neurologists as a safety measure not to potentially aggravate a dog that may have syringomyelia, as noted above. If your dog still pulls -- then enroll in a good obedience class, and one where they will allow you to train in a harness.

Edel I can't guess why the lead clasp didn't work. I do know that soemtimes on any lead it is easy to not get it fully on the ring (on harness or collar) so that it is not firmly shut and maybe this happened in your case. I have two Puppia leads, each with a different style of clasp, and both are very sturdy and solid -- actually I prefer them to my other leads. Does the clasp look broken to you or not work properly when you examine it? If so, I'd return it, certainly. If it looks fine, then it may well be the case that it wasn't on fully. I am not sure how a clasp could open up unless it was totally broken or unless the little bit you push to open didn't then shut all the way -- with a brand new lead it could be a bit stiff til opened and closed a few times perhaps. Mine get sticky in cold weather if they've gotten damp.

Once, before I was using a harness all the time and Jaspar was about 6 months old, I clipped the lead accidentally to Jaspar's name tags and not his actual collar ring. The nametags were on a lightweight ring that expanded when he was pulling to go toward a fence at the park -- and he got off and disappeared into the park in the dark, with heavy traffic on the road behind. I was totally paralysed with fear. He eventually came back safely but ever since then, I check twice to make sure I have the lead safely clipped to the ring, as it is really easy to get it not quite right if you do it quickly.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I think it is infurating to read you cant use a chock chain because of...... then you shouldnt use a harness because of..... i think i personally am going to take teh same view i do about people telling me what food i should or should not eat, and i eat what i want!!!!

so i have the harness now, and going to stick to it.
    thanks

Fidelma
    ------------------------------------
    The average dog is often a nicer person than the average person. Andrew A. Rooney

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - harness is definately the way to go.

Anyway I emailed my puppia supplier and she said this never happened before (thats what she would say) and to send back the broken lead for a replacement. Only problem is im sure I trust these leads anymore. What if it happened again, it would be my fault for using it again.
    Edel
    I love you Lady

Post Thanks / Like

Default I am ordering

I am ordering two harnesses for my guys, I have just spoken to my Vets and they said that they are fine to use, probably better then them pulling on their throats... just remember to check that collar is still on with the tag, check the lead is on correct ring, make sure does not rub, and to check once in a well if stitching, etc. is okay.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a puppia harness in Petstop on Saturday and I can't believe how much better it is. I hated having to pull Daisy Boo on the collar (sometimes she can be a bit stubborn when she's sniffing) but it seems she's much happier on the harness and she's trotting along proudly! I am much happier to walk her on the harness and doubt I'll ever go back to the collar and lead.