Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update on Rory's Syringomyelia surgery

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow those are amazing pictures. It is hard to believe he is just one day post-up! They can be so incredibly resilient, can't they? I bet he will be showing that scar off to all the other boy-dogs... It is an amazing 'seam' when you see that view from the back. You must be so relieved and so pleased with his good spirits. icon_banana
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't he look great?! I'm so proud of him. He really is doing fantastic, I think. The scar is crazy. 18 stitches. I should count how many inches!!! So he can brag to all his buds about his gnarly scar. "Dude - when I was a kid, I had brain surgery and they cut a 5 inch slit into my skull and gave me 18 stitches! Wanna see my scar?"
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

awwwwwwww those pics made me cry,you must of been distraught with worry, and poor rory has came through so much, i cant tell you how glad i am to see him doing so well, he looks amazing and doesnt even look like he,s had any surgery at all cause he looks so healthy.best wishes to you both and have a great christmas and new year xoxoxoxoxoxo

Post Thanks / Like

Thank god everything went so well Im so happy for you all

icon_banana icon_banana icon_banana icon_banana

Post Thanks / Like

What great news for you and Rory! He looks remarkably well for all he's been through. Don't you wish we could bounce back like our dogs seem to? I know his wonderful outcome has to be a great relief for you. Keep us posted on his progress.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rory's surgery

He looks great! My daughter has the same type of scar on her scalp - she's had 3 brain surgeries and then had her major brain surgery a few years ago, so we know what you're going thru... she had to relearn to walk, talk, do everything one-handed. I'm sure you'll see a major difference in his health now - keeping you in our prayers here in Nebraska.

Sheri R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dear Kendall

I'm sorry I haven't been around but am so thankful that Rory came through the surgery ok.

The neurologist was just amazing to persevere with such a trying situation - thank goodness he did.

Thank you for sharing the photos - icon_crying here but really hope that this will be the answer for Rory, and he will enjoy a good quality of life now.

Paws and fingers crossed for a good recovery, hope that the flight home was ok.

Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts and prayers.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

sramirez - so sorry your daughter has had to go through so many surgeries!! :cry: Is she doing OK now??

Rory is doing FANTASTIC!! He is such an amazing dog and making an awesome recovery. If I let him, he'd run around like a maniac already. But another 8 days in the crate and then restricted harness/leash walks only for severalmore weeks. I'm going to have to ask Harrington how much restriction he needs because he's obviously not hindered by this at all. Harrington said we could sortof gauge how much restriction he needs by how he feels, but considering he's already raring to go, I'm a little worried he needs more time.... He's 6 days post-op today!

Thanks for all the support!!

here is a picture of him from the other day:

--Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It really sounds like he's a great example of the difference in results if the surgery is done before the dog is showing lots of pain and neurological affects. I wonder how he compares with other dogs Harrington has done, and how Rory's excellent response compares to that of dogs who might have had a lot of problems before the surgery. It would be so interesting to see comparisons! I hope he keeps coming along by (literal!) leaps and bounds!

I know Clare's approach is not to confine as much as some neurologists recommend. Harrington seems to take a similar approach. I know a lot of people who had the surgery done did feel they let the dogs do too much early on so I think you are right in restraining him from too much acitivity at this point.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Harrington's assistant said that he was definitely way better off before surgery than most of their patients who have the surgery. harrington said some dogs are really super painful after surgery while others are not. One of the vets who was working there said he is doing as good or better than any of the dogs they see post-op!! I think if they saw him now they'd be even more impressed!

One thing harrington did say is that the confinement now could really play a role in scar tissue formation that may lead to recurrance of symptoms. Which is why I'm trying soooo hard to keep him restrained. But it is NOT easy. He's literally in his crate all the time except when he goes out to pee (on leash!!)- but when we go out he is rushing around and not restricting himself at all. Good thing he's on leash! He is shaking his head a fair amount when I let him out which I worry about being too much movement.... Probablly due to the hair from his ears getting stuck in the sutures and it's wet outside, so he shakes the rain off...

Anyway - I really hope he continues to do well!! Tomorrow will be 1 week! I can't believe it. I'm so glad I did this surgery. Even if it comes back, I know I did the best thing I could for him. And I'm relieved that he's hardly affected at all. Probably less affected than some dogs when they're neutered!!! Ii was really anticipating a long, painful recovery but it has been anything but that! the only pain is when Rory gives off really pathetic whines from his crate...
    --Roger Caras