• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Rory's Syringomyelia surgery

rory

Hey everyone -
Just wanted to give up update on the little man. His surgery was on Friday. It was over 3 hours long and more complicated than normal. Where these syringomyelia dogs usually have fibrous connective tissue constricting their brain (cerebellum), Rory had very thickened, collagenous, shiney white cartilage-like tissue (like in your joints) which was adhered to his brain. So the neurosurgeon, Dr. Harrington, had to meticullously pick this tissue off while trying not to damage the brain. Apparently it was incredibly frustrating. I can only imagine. There was a great risk for permanent brain damage, but if he hadn't tried to remove the connective tissue, there would have been no point to the surgery, as his brain would have still been just as compressed. I'm really glad he went through with it and did such an awesome job. Afterwards, he said the brain looked good and Rory should definitely feel relief from all the compression.

So we were waiting to see how he did this morning when all the drugs wore off to see if there were any vestibular signs (balance issues) indicating the brain had been damaged.

Imagine my delight this morning when they brought him trotting out to me in the waiting room!! :) He looked great and had no signs of brain damage. He even balanced on one leg to pee on a couple bushes and ran up to meet the neurosurgeon's assistant's Cavalier, Daniel, who was coming in for work! :) I brought his food and he was quite excited about that. We fed him and then they gave him some more drugs and he fell asleep on my lap. :)

I called this afternoon for an update and they said he is having a great afternoon! Perky, alert, and doing very well! I was sooo happy to hear that! :D The vet who was working (not the neurosurgeon) said she couldn't be happier with his recovery and he was doing even better than they could have hoped for!!! yay, Rory!!! I am soooo glad I went to Harrington. I'm not sure that anyone else would have perservered and continued to work on that connective tisue that was stuck to his brain. It would have been just as understandable if he had decided it was too risky and backed out. And then we'd be back at square one.

My flight home isn't until Monday night and I can't get anything earlier (everything is sold out due to holiday travel) so he'll stay in the hospital until then. He was not too impressed with Lilo (my sister's 4.5 mo old Newfoundland puppy) so I'll just pick him up from the hospital and go straight to the airport to avoid stressing him out. They don't think there should be any problems flying post-op (I had asked them about this before deciding whether to drive or fly). It's a short 2 hour flight. And they said 4 - 6 weeks of recovery. The first two weeks more restricted, then he can gradually work up to normal activity level.

Thank you to everyone for the supportive thoughts and prayers. It means so much. My friends and family are being sooo supportive, too. It's great to know my other dog and cats are being well taken care of by my friends back home. I'm sure my lab won't even want to come home after her weekend with two beagles and a huge backyard!

Hope everyone is having a good Thanksgiving weekend! I couldn't be happier with Rory's progress.

What a great relief you and your family must be feeling right now. I'm so pleased all has gone well with Rory's surgery. Positive thoughts and good wishes for a speedy recovery. :D :D :D

That's wonderful news to know he's doing so well {{{{{{{{Rory and his folks}}}}}}}}.

Tbh, if I was Rory I don't think I'd have been impressed with Lilo either - I'll bet that she's enormous compared to poor little Rory :lol:

Hope your flight home goes well and that darling little Rory continues to progress well xxxx

This is great news! I'm very happy everything worked out so well, and Harrington sounds awesome!! Good for you! Safe travels home, and I hope you're both able to get some much needed rest now that he's in recovery mode.

Rory

I am so happy to hear about Rory! :D I have been very nervous about our little Toby getting the same thing, or having the same thing since I read about it. It just makes me feel better that you were able to find the right person to operate because I also feel that most vets would say too bad, nothing can be done.

It's great that Rory is doing so well! :D
Hope he keeps up the good progress!
We'll all be thinking of him and wish him a good and speedy recovery.
And I'm sure you will need recovery time too after what I can only imagine to be a very stressful time!!!
Good Luck!

That's fantastic Kendall .......

So happy that Rory is doing so well and I am very pleased for you that you went ahead with the surgery and it worked out well ....

Hears to a great Christmas festive holiday with a cheerful and bounding Rory ......

Hope your flight tonight goes ok and I'm sure you'll both be happy to be back home .....

What WONDERFUL news! I'll have all my guys crossing their paws for a recovery that goes as well as the surgery. Time for just a little extra spoiling!

Thanks everyone! yes - he is definitely getting some extra spoiling. :D Luckily he was pretty skinny before the surgery so it'll be OK if he gets a few extra treats. I have to figure out ways to keep him entertained in his crate. I think I need to find his kong and stuff it with stuff... But I worry about him chewing on stuff too much - he tends to crank his neck in odd positions when he chews... :?

We are going to resume acupuncture and try some therapies to decrease scar tissue formation. Hopefully. So hopefully he'll be one of the lucky ones that beats this horrible disease. ;)

He was doing so well yesterday that I managed to get an early flight back home. So he's just chillin' in his new, larger, crate. His cousin (my sister's 4.5 mo old Newfoundland puppy) gave him her crate as she'd already outgrown it. :shock: He's trotting around like nothing happened. My main problem is going to be keeping him confined and restricted! As boring as it is, he'll probably just have to stay in his crate except for very supervised time (not further than an arm's length away in case he tries to jump up on the couch or chair) and to go out to pee.
here are some pics:

Day 1 post-op, still groggy:
Rory026.jpg

Rory025.jpg

rory.jpg

Cruisin':
Rory006.jpg

Incision:
Rory005.jpg

Day 2 Post-op:
IMG_6367.jpg

IMG_6365.jpg

Kendall he looks so good!! This is so encouraging! I'm so happy with the results, I can't imagine what you feel! :D
Lil' Franken-Rory is still just as adorable as ever, plus, now he gets to show off his great bangs!! :p

Hugs to Rory!!!

Wow those are amazing pictures. It is hard to believe he is just one day post-up! They can be so incredibly resilient, can't they? I bet he will be showing that scar off to all the other boy-dogs... :lol: It is an amazing 'seam' when you see that view from the back. You must be so relieved and so pleased with his good spirits. icon_banana

Doesn't he look great?! :D :D I'm so proud of him. He really is doing fantastic, I think. The scar is crazy. 18 stitches. I should count how many inches!!! So he can brag to all his buds about his gnarly scar. "Dude - when I was a kid, I had brain surgery and they cut a 5 inch slit into my skull and gave me 18 stitches! Wanna see my scar?" :lol:

awwwwwwww those pics made me cry,you must of been distraught with worry, and poor rory has came through so much, i cant tell you how glad i am to see him doing so well, he looks amazing and doesnt even look like he,s had any surgery at all cause he looks so healthy.best wishes to you both and have a great christmas and new year xoxoxoxoxoxo

Thank god everything went so well Im so happy for you all

icon_banana icon_banana icon_banana icon_banana

What great news for you and Rory! He looks remarkably well for all he's been through. Don't you wish we could bounce back like our dogs seem to? I know his wonderful outcome has to be a great relief for you. Keep us posted on his progress.

Rory's surgery

He looks great! My daughter has the same type of scar on her scalp - she's had 3 brain surgeries and then had her major brain surgery a few years ago, so we know what you're going thru... she had to relearn to walk, talk, do everything one-handed. I'm sure you'll see a major difference in his health now - keeping you in our prayers here in Nebraska.

Sheri R.

Dear Kendall

I'm sorry I haven't been around but am so thankful that Rory came through the surgery ok.

The neurologist was just amazing to persevere with such a trying situation - thank goodness he did.

Thank you for sharing the photos - icon_crying here but really hope that this will be the answer for Rory, and he will enjoy a good quality of life now.

Paws and fingers crossed for a good recovery, hope that the flight home was ok.

Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts and prayers.

sramirez - so sorry your daughter has had to go through so many surgeries!! :cry: Is she doing OK now??

Rory is doing FANTASTIC!! He is such an amazing dog and making an awesome recovery. If I let him, he'd run around like a maniac already. But another 8 days in the crate and then restricted harness/leash walks only for severalmore weeks. I'm going to have to ask Harrington how much restriction he needs because he's obviously not hindered by this at all. Harrington said we could sortof gauge how much restriction he needs by how he feels, but considering he's already raring to go, I'm a little worried he needs more time.... He's 6 days post-op today! :D

Thanks for all the support!! :)

here is a picture of him from the other day:

IMG_6380.jpg

It really sounds like he's a great example of the difference in results if the surgery is done before the dog is showing lots of pain and neurological affects. I wonder how he compares with other dogs Harrington has done, and how Rory's excellent response compares to that of dogs who might have had a lot of problems before the surgery. It would be so interesting to see comparisons! I hope he keeps coming along by (literal!) leaps and bounds!

I know Clare's approach is not to confine as much as some neurologists recommend. Harrington seems to take a similar approach. I know a lot of people who had the surgery done did feel they let the dogs do too much early on so I think you are right in restraining him from too much acitivity at this point.

Harrington's assistant said that he was definitely way better off before surgery than most of their patients who have the surgery. harrington said some dogs are really super painful after surgery while others are not. One of the vets who was working there said he is doing as good or better than any of the dogs they see post-op!! I think if they saw him now they'd be even more impressed!

One thing harrington did say is that the confinement now could really play a role in scar tissue formation that may lead to recurrance of symptoms. Which is why I'm trying soooo hard to keep him restrained. But it is NOT easy. He's literally in his crate all the time except when he goes out to pee (on leash!!)- but when we go out he is rushing around and not restricting himself at all. Good thing he's on leash! He is shaking his head a fair amount when I let him out which I worry about being too much movement.... Probablly due to the hair from his ears getting stuck in the sutures and it's wet outside, so he shakes the rain off...

Anyway - I really hope he continues to do well!! Tomorrow will be 1 week! I can't believe it. I'm so glad I did this surgery. Even if it comes back, I know I did the best thing I could for him. And I'm relieved that he's hardly affected at all. Probably less affected than some dogs when they're neutered!!! ;) Ii was really anticipating a long, painful recovery but it has been anything but that! the only pain is when Rory gives off really pathetic whines from his crate...

Back