• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Collars

edel

I have a problem with ladys collar. She only wears it indoors as she wears her puppia harness outside. But the dye has started to run from her blue collar and is making her neck sort of navy. so looks like i need to buy a new collar ;)

Can anyone recommend a good collar to me. I can a cute one and also strong and reliable

Collar

I have the ones that have the rubber padding then are material over it. Colour is fine, got at Pets at Home, if you have one of them in Ireland.

I've used the mesh one with the plastic clips from Petstop; these are inexpensive and adjustable and don't bleed. Most petshops around Ireland carry a version of them. I used those for nearly two years then got the boys the star collar from Petlondon.com. The black leather did run when it came in contact with Frontline, before I remembered to take the collar off, but they have swum in them since with no problems.

The adjustable or buckle collars here (Irish online store) are all good.

http://pet-bliss.com/acatalog/Dog_Collars.html

BTW you should keep a collar and tags on her at all times, especially when she is out on walks just in case she ever escapes, even if you are not using the collar for the lead. I cannot tell you how many dogs in the pound clearly were loved pets where no one thought they'd end in the pound -- and they end up being pts because they have no collar, no tags. Get a good tag printed (better than the barrels). By law in Ireland you must have a tag on a dog at all times with name, address and phone, and a license once the pup is over 4 months old. often people don't realise this! ;)

Meant to say the harness goes right on over a collar and won't cause any bother! :)

karlin said:
BTW you should keep a collar and tags on her at all times, especially when she is out on walks just in case she ever escapes, even if you are not using the collar for the lead. I cannot tell you how many dogs in the pound clearly were loved pets where no one thought they'd end in the pound -- and they end up being pts because they have no collar, no tags. Get a good tag printed (better than the barrels). By law in Ireland you must have a tag on a dog at all times with name, address and phone, and a license once the pup is over 4 months old. often people don't realise this! ;)

I would add to what Karlin said by saying that a microchip is also a good addition in case the dog is stolen (heaven forbid) or gets away somehow without the collar and tag. I am a very strong believer in microchips and we microchip all our puppies before they go to their new home. It's not a huge expense, under $100 I think.

Excellent point -- and as of Jan 1 all IKC-registered puppies will have to be microchipped by the breeder in order to get their registration, which is a great idea.

Microchips in Ireland can be done by most vets for between €25-50, generally. A good time to do it is when the dog is being neutered.

Collar Tags

I have trouble with my little one chewing on the tag of the older one so I took the tags off as my husband was worried that she would choke on it. I did write on their mesh collars and they are microchipped. It is mandatory in New South Wales to have them microchipped and this is done by the breeder before they are sold. So I hope my girls are safe.
Julie

You can also get collars where they stitch in the dog's information. Sometimes they chew when puppies then stop when they get older.

We had a talk on the NSW dog regulations on the weekend at the irish National Stray Dog and Cat Forum! It is considered a model system in animal welfare circles. :)

I dont have a collar on my dogs, as i do not feel they need one, I will not be getting one for Lady either.

They are all microchipped and one thing i would love to see happen is if there was some way to show externally that the dog is chipped, as a fear of mine is as follows....

someone tries to steal your dog, they find out it is mocro chipped and they dont know what to do so they will either abondon it or kill it......

I feel if there was something to deter these dog stealers if they know the dog is chipped would be good, but as to what that could bee i have no idea!!!!!

I had a collar on Cloe and it ruined her fur as she has a calves lick! and the collar accentuated it, my friends cavalier has his fur all messed from the collar.

I dont feel they need a collar as they are always in the house and when we are out they are on a lead.

Back