• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Stinky dog

MGMom

Scarlett is healthy as far as I know because she has been checked by the vet during checkups, but we have an embarassing little problem. Even though she gets weekly baths, Scarlett starts smelling a little gamey, I think too quickly. She doesn't smell sick, and her coat etc are shiney and pretty. She just gets an outdoorsy strong DOG smell even though she is indoors most of the time. We use good scented doggy shampoo and cologne. Do any of your Cavs do this? Poor Scarlett. A dignified lady hates to smell bad! :lol:

Hmmm, have you actually mentioned this to your vet? They shouldn't really get a doggy smell that fast -- especially not a dog bathed weekly, which is quite a lot -- and also puppies usually don't have a doggy smell at all (that tends to come with an adult coat). I'd have her anal glands checked; maybe others have suggestions as well.

Mine have never smelled doggy; I only bathe them once every 2-3 months (though for about 6 months of the year, they swim every week or two at least). I have had fosters that definitely smell doggy so I know what you mean by a distinct smell though.

If you are bathing every week be sure the shampoo is dog pH balanced as that is a lot of washing/removing natural coat and skin oils. Vets tend to recommend far less frequent baths -- like once a month at most -- so I wonder if maybe the loss of oils might be causing the problem... like an overcompensation? Maybe Rory has an idea on this as she's a vet-in -training...!

Well, I think she just dropped her puppy coat shortly after she was spayed because we had effusive shedding for a while that has slacked off recently. Could that possibly be it? Adult hormones kicking in?

Ear or sinus infections can smell bad; have you talked to your vet about this problem specifically? Could also be a low quality food. What food do you feed?

:D It's not her food. She gets Solid Gold kibble and Merrick and Evanger's canned food for a treat. She also gets Merrick doggie treats when she is good. Pound per pound, we spend more on her food than on our own. LOL

I have wondered about her ears though. The smell doesn't seem to come from her ears, but I might have the vet look at them anyway.

Charlie smelled a bit 'doggy' last week then one day I got such a whiff :oops: - it was his anal glands needing emptying. hubby thinks that's why he peed on our bed - it was softer for him to let go icon_yikes

In addition to our new girl Fauna, we have an English Bulldog. Rudy gets very stinky between baths but we have found an Ionic brush that seems to take care of the smell. It runs on batteries and is very soft on his skin so he enjoys the "experience". You might give one a try.
JaneB

In my experience, I have found that "overwashing" a dog can make them smell doggy, contrary to what people think! :D As Karlin stated earlier, dogs do not produce all of the natural oils that we do on our scalp, and so constant bathing can strip them of their natural "coat and skin conditioners," and lead to a compensatory effect = DOGGIE SMELL! icon_yikes

I only bathe Darby every 3 months or so (unless she is entered in a show), and she smells FANTASTIC!! That is one of the great things about Cavaliers... generally speaking they are a breed that doesn't smell "doggy!"

Try skipping a month or so in your bathing schedule, and see what happens. At first, Scarlet may stink even worse for a little while, but then her little puppy skin will balance out and she should smell great (at least, after her 1 month bath)! ;)

Back