• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Greenies...

I used to love them - then I started to read all the information that has been posted regarding problems :cry:

i know my guys all miss em' ...

I really do not think they are any more risky than any dog treat from booda bones to raw bones to the stuffed toys my guys pull apart, much less stones (which lots of dogs eat and which can cause major problems!). Speaking as a journalist, I am always very suspicious of media stories that suddenly catch on after an anonymous email does the rounds. It is also very easy to find 10 examples of any problem if you put out a query to the internet. Also to start scare stories whether based on real or imagined problems -- hence the endless Swiffer warning emails.

A good way of gauging risk is to ask your vet which dog treats/chews they have serious probems with. Probably anything that can be gulped in chunks will qualify, from stones to bones to rawhides. I think the risk with Greenies is miniscule. In a lot of these cases, you read more closely and find out they size was incorrect for the dog, or the dog was left alone to eat the treat, or the dog gulps off chunks and the owner never noticed the dog's eating habits.

Thanks for posting what I was thinking, karlin. ;) Anything is a risk. Especially socks!! Maybe they should pull socks off the market due to their overwhelming risk to dogs. ;) jk.

As with any toy or chewie -- dogs should be supervised and not allowed to eat it if they're taking off big hunks. Our lab is a very aggressive chewer and notorious for swallowing huge bits of whatever you give her, so there are lots of things we can't give her anymore. Like the time she swallowed 5 inches of a bully stick whole!! icon_yikes But she still gets rawhides and raw marrow bones and cooked knuckle bones because she chews these appropriately. If your dog is a super aggressive chewer and likely to swallow pieces that are too big, then they shouldn't get stuff that might cause a problem. Otherwise, let them have it! but make sure you watch them. ;)

Back