• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anal sacks

MGMom

Can anyone tell me how to take care of anal sacs? Someone once told me how to do it, but I didn't really pay attention because I thought it was just too gross! I suspect that is why Scarlett has had an odor. We are going to take her to the vet if we can get in, but I am afraid we won't be able to get in, and I think she must need relief!

This is so gross! I can't believe I am even considering trying this at home. icon_yikes

It is best that the dog be able to clear out the anal gland naturally. But if, for some reason they can't, ask your vet (or breeder) to demonstrate how to do it. It isn't pleasant- Giving extra fiber (once you have determined that they aren't over full) can help them clear them naturally. They can become overfull and become infected and burst <very painful>. Sandy

Seeing as this has been brought up, can someone explain why we need to empty them andwhy they build up and how u know when u need to empty, i brought Cloe to vet adn he said tht although she was wiping her bum on my carpet, that now badly needs disinfecting!!!!!!!!! she did not need them emptied, how can i tell if they need emptying or not, however i would not be so brave as to try this myself ugh... lol your a brave person to try!!!

Anal

Hi all, the anal gland should actually deposit fluid when the our little angels poo, but sometimes there is some left in there, which is way they may try and carpet burn there bum in trying to empty them a bit more, luckily my guys never smell.... I always let our vet do them and god do I smell it then... I believe that you should wear plastic gloves with vaseline or KY Jelly on there and then insert your first finger in, see is sack is full and then squeeze with this finger and thumb from outside, have a piece of cotton wool in your glove also to catch the goo, anal sacks are based either side of the bottom, when squeezed just pull the gloves off over the cotton wool and hey presto no mess - PLEASE GET YOUR VET or the NURSE to show you if unsure.

you know i think i will just leave it for the vet to do! ounds way too gross for me! but thanks for explaining!

A lot of people say cavaliers are more enthusiastic butt scooters than some other breeds, too... :roll:

Aren't you all glad that we don't have anal glands. :lol:

Seriously - it's a gross task that takes time and skill to learn. Those anal glands are slippery suckers and the smell is something awful. They should try to bottle and sell it as biological warfare. icon_yikes

If you're highly motivated, you can ask your vet to teach you. But if your dog only needs it occasionally, I woould just chalk up the few bucks and have someone else do it. It's worth it!

Some dogs produce especially thick substance that doesn't come out very well on its own, so they tend to block up and require manual expression. Some people say that once you start doing it for your dog, you always will. not sure how much truth there is to this. It's probably a good idea to have the vet check and make sure they aren't getting too full because they can get infected and rupture. But otherwise - if it ain't broke, why fix it!

Anal Glands

My Sasha has had her anal glands removed going on 3 yrs (she had to have them expressed about every week and it was really getting to be "a pain in the butt" - funny thing is 'tho she still scoots quite abit. I think it's more due to scar tissue/itching, but she does it more than my other two that have them! :oops:

Sheri R.
Nebraska - USA

karlin said:
A lot of people say cavaliers are more enthusiastic butt scooters than some other breeds, too... :roll:

SiânE scoots sometimes but she has found that if she stands by the side of the settee with her bum press against it, she will wiggle her bum up and down and side to side is much better than scooting :?

One of her nicknames is now is beyonce because of it! :lol:

Well, we got her in to the vet, and he charged us only $9. I think that was money well spent, as this was NOT a task I was enthusiastic about learning to perform. However, I am going to try to read about it because I don't ever want to be caught if we can't get in to the vet. I could tell something was bothering her because, along with the odor, she was scooting and walking a little "twisty." LOL

Back