Thread: Rory's surgery

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rory's surgery

Kendall,can we have an update on how he is doig?Lynn

Post Thanks / Like

He's doing OK. He got his stitches out this morning. Yay!

He's started scratching again - almost as much as before the surgery. I'm thinking of trying Lasix and maybe Gabapentin. I didn't want to use the gabapentin (neurontin) before because I didn't want the mask the symptoms. I needed to be able to tell if it was progressing so I could decide if surgery was necessary. But now that he's had the surgery, he may as well have some more relief.

He's tired of being locked up. He's getting more freedom. We took the bed off the frame so he can be out w/ us at night. We went on a walk this morning which he enjoyed. He gets more time out of the crate, but I don't want to overdo it. Harrington warned me that too much activity early on may lead to the dreaded scar tissue formation which may just re-restrict his brain and negate the effects of the surgery.

Thanks for asking!
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear Rory is on the mend. Hang in there, healing just takes time and patience. (Don't you just hate it when people tell you to be patient? ) Ear scratches to your brave guy.
    JaneB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd say he'd be scrtahcing a lot just because of the itchy stitches. I know when I had stitches after surgery they were SOOOO itchy both before and fater they came out. It is likely a bit irritable to him.

Also I have read that several neurologists have said there generally tends to be more scratching right after the surgery and that usually goes away after a while.

Glad he is doing well.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the update,still keeping Rory's recovery in my thoughts.
    The neurotin may also make him more sedate when started,making him less bothered by his inactivity.
    Rory is in the best of hands,hang in there.Lynn