Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tara is not very well

Post Thanks / Like

I've only just seen this now, how's the little girlie doing?
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope Tara is feeling better.
    Tough start for the little one but it sounds like it may be under control now.
    Would love to see some pics of her.

Post Thanks / Like

Fi - I got Tara as my pressie so no chance of a camera

It turned out that it was a combination of Worms and the food she was eating, it didnt agree with her tummy.

We were back at the vets again last night she got her last vacs so icon_crssedfingers

Thanks for the well wishes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Jo, one thing I'd recommend is to feed adult food, not puppy food, which can be way too rich. In general, puppies do not need puppy food anyway -- after all, puppies raised by mums would eat what the mum eats, not something 'enriched' -- and many longtime dog people feel puppy food ac tually is harmful, causing accelerated growth and longer limbs. At best, it is simply a marketing ploy.

I always strongly recommend US breeder Laura Lang's pages on caring for a cavalier, especially her feeding page, as her advice is really good (and the pictures of cavalier 'waists' really helps you to see what a fit cavalier should look like -- a lot of people confuse 'fat' with 'fit'... ). There's lots of info on feeding in the Caring for your Cavalier section of the Library on CavalierTalk too, but this thread has the link to Laura's page:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=465

I have fed my two boys Royal Canin 28 (for small breeds, with the dachshund on the front), adult food, since they were puppies (that is, when they get dry mixed into their meals. The bulk of their food is either homecooked or raw chicken necks). There's also a sensitive diet for dogs with sensitive stomachs. I also recommend Burns or James Wellbeloved, all adult formulations, not the puppy foods. James Wellbeloved is very good for dogs with dicey stomachs as all their formulations are unusual meats which cause fewer problems than chicken or beef -- they have duck, lamb or fish.

Regarding worms: I wouldn't worm more than recommended by a vet. Remember you are putting a strong insecticide through the dog every time you worm. I worm about once a year unless I have reason to think there may be worms. Some do feel very strongly that animals should be wormed more frequently than this though. Puppies should always be wormed at around the time they are to be homed as they often have worms from the mother and a puppy can rapidly decline and die when wormbound -- they can be a very serious health risk! Vets and experienced dog people can usually tell if there are worms simply by feeling a pup's belly.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that is really interesting, but im even more confused now as now im thinking i should take her off the puppy food......

i worm my dogs every 3 months.

why do dogs gets worms and how is a pup born with worms? i have to worm Cloe every day for the last 2 weeks of her term, do all breeders do this?

sorry for all the questions but this has raised so many quesitons for me
    thanks

Fidelma
    ------------------------------------
    The average dog is often a nicer person than the average person. Andrew A. Rooney

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Worms:

http://www.vetinfo.com/dworms.html
    http://www.ehow.com/how_18682_know-kind-worms.html
    http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

Some info on why you need to be careful with petfood. From this month's Whole Dog Journal -- an excellent publication (you can subscribe very cheaply for an online subscription rather than getting the magazines themselves). WDJ is very widely regarded in the US/Canada by trainers, breeders etc and produces an annual recommended list of dog foods that is always awaited. The new list is out.

This is part of the article that acccompanies the list. A regular question arises on boards like this about why supermarket brand foods -- and many so-called premium brands -- are not very good foods for your cat or dog. This gives a very good explanation of why.

How to identify the healthiest dry dog foods on the market.

By Nancy Kerns

Last month, in “A Super (But Secret) Industry,” I discussed the difficulty of getting into a factory where wet pet food is made – a task I have not yet managed to accomplish. Happily, I have been able to tour a few facilities that manufacture dog treats and dry food. This hasn’t resulted in any huge surprises to me, but sure helped me understand the many challenges facing manufacturers who want to produce the very best dog food possible.

Choosing a food for your dog can be daunting. Don’t stress! Just read the labels, choose one, and see how your dog responds. If his response is poor, try another. There are many top-quality foods available today.

As we have described in our annual food reviews since 1998, this task starts with top-quality ingredients. To mix a metaphor, you really can’t make a silk purse out of sows’ ears, chicken heads, bovine tumors, restaurant grease, rendered fat from animals that died on farms, and cheap grain by-products left over from the human food manufacturing industry. Many people say, “Oh, for goodness’ sakes, they are just dogs! Why can’t they eat guts and stuff?” Well, they can, of course, and most dogs do! The vast majority of pet food produced in this country is made with what we would consider to be poor-quality ingredients.

For optimal health, every credible human nutrition expert in the world advocates eating a balanced varied diet of a varying menu of fresh, top-quality foods. There is no biological reason to expect dogs (or any other animal) to be any different. Pet bird experts now realize that an all-seed diet is unbalanced and inadequate for avian health; birds also need access to fresh plant material (fruits, vegetables, green foods such as sprouts, etc.) to thrive. People who keep rabbits as pets now know that alfalfa pellets alone don’t sustain rabbits as well as a diet that includes a variety of fresh hay, root vegetables, and green, leafy vegetables.

Dogs are just the same. A balanced, home-prepared diet of a variety of fresh, healthy ingredients is optimum; a commercial diet made with the same ingredients is leagues better than a commercial diet made with cheap fats discarded from restaurants, inexpensive carbohydrates produced as waste from the brewing industry, and plant proteins such as corn gluten meal (animal proteins have a much more complete amino acid profile than plant proteins).

Of course, the best ingredients cost a lot, and a reliable supply may be difficult to find. Pet food makers who are committed to producing foods for the top end of the market have to continually hunt for ingredients that meet their standards – and be prepared to reject shipments that fail to pass their inspection.

We strongly believe that ingredient quality is the key to a dog food’s quality, as well as the criterion that is easiest for the average consumer to judge, based on a simple review of the ingredients listed on the label. See “WDJ’s Dry Dog Food Selection Criteria,” page 4, for a detailed description of what is desirable and what is best avoided when scrutinizing the ingredients’ panel on your favorite dog foods.
    You can subscribe or get more info at www.whole-dog-journal.com , and see some sample articles.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin I took your advise and changed Tara to adult food thank doG thats seem more solid icon_yuk and she has less wind

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, less wind is always good!
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I've been moving Twinkle on to Royal Canin and by God does she stink. I'm a bit worried about how quickly the puppy foods make them grow also so I'm going to buy the adult version tomorrow. Daisy Boo used to stink also but not since I started supplementing the dry food with vegetables.