• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ticking question

RW

My current female cavalier has an extremely tick free muzzle. I'm looking at a new male to show and possibly breed to a pup from my female.

I've found a beautiful little boy but he appears to have quite a bit of ticking around the the nose. It looks like a recessive t gene.

My question is how much of fault will this be in the ring here in the U.S.

And would it be wise to use this male for breeding.

And also I could be wrong about my description of ticking. I'm considering
ticking as black blotches in the skin. I'm not sure what this will look like as
the pup gets thicker hair in the muzzle area.

I will attempt to put a pic of the pup online.

That doesn't really look like ticking to me. It looks like black nose pigment. It should all fill in to have a solid black nose. How old is he? Hopefully some of the breeders on here can answer better and give an idea of when that might fill in. Plus - he's a blenheim. If he were to have "ticking" or freckles, it would be brown, not black! :)

Here is my rory at about 5 weeks:
rory4-11-042.jpg

And as an adult:
acb78e41.jpg

You can see he had some black speckling around his nose and it all filled in to solid black pigment.

It is the "odd" color hairs. Spots of red in a blenheim where it is white. They can be red or black spots in the white of a tri. On the face they are commonly referred to as freckles.

Sandy - Do you think in this puppy's case, it's just the black pigment on the nose waiting to fill in?? How old before this is complete?

rory said:
That doesn't really look like ticking to me. It looks like black nose pigment. It should all fill in to have a solid black nose. How old is he? Hopefully some of the breeders on here can answer better and give an idea of when that might fill in. Plus - he's a blenheim. If he were to have "ticking" or freckles, it would be brown, not black! :)

He is 6 weeks old.

After looking over his pedigree and the champions on the web, I decided a little black around the nose didn't seem to hurt him. Besides the rest of his
markings are great.

I put him on layaway. I have 6 pups that have to leave the nest before I would dare bring another into the house. I'ts a good thing I have all these
pups or the wait would kill me. It will probably kill me anyway.

A blenheim pup doesn't carry for black colored fur-- So I feel pretty sure in saying that the black is likely nose coloring. I was told by a long time breeder that she doesn't count freckles if they touch the nose. They really don't distract nearly as much <unless the are LARGE-lol>
My boy stopped getting freckles after age 2 years.
As for markings-- they are "frosting". They can optically distract overall from the dog- but it isn't even in the top of the most important things to look for in a show "POTENTIAL" cavalier. There are heavily marked blenheims that have done well and there are some lightly marked blenheims that have done well. Unless a cavalier has a very nice head<dark eyes- little or no white showing, cush -- this is a head breed>-- it won't do well. AND they have to be structurally sound.
*This is just my opinion <lol> I am sure other breeders especially, may disagree*

rory said:
He's very cute!! :) You're not keeping any of the pups you have at home right now?

I am keeping one female blenheim from my current litter.
I've once again changed my mind on the pup in the picture.
My breeder is going to England in the near future and will
be bringing home a young male from Homerbrent.

I actually have a beautiful little male blenheim in my current
litter but want something to hopefully breed to my female.

Back