• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rory is scratching again... :(

rory

Well, about a week and a half post-op he started scratching again. *sigh*

He's really not scratching at the incision site, so I don't think it's just itchy from that. he's scratching just like he did pre-op: at the top of his head, ears, abdomen, neck. The incision looks to be healing very well.

Karlin said that Dr. Rubridge said this is not very uncommon and I know a lot of other dogs hve experienced scratching post-op and it doesn't necessarily mean the surgery didn't "'work" or help prevent disease progression. We shall just have to be patient and try to remain optimistic! It is hard, though, and discouraging to see him scratching. :(

I started him on Neurontin to relieve nerve pain and Lasix to decrease CSF, hopefully. So far he is doing well on these meds. Not seeing a ton of reduction in itching on the neurontin, but maybe it needs a while to work. Dunno. I started giving 100mg every 12 hours, per Harrington's recommendations, but yesterday upped it to every 8 hours. I think we'll just see how he responds and decide what is the best based on his response.

But he's still adorable!!!!

Check out his latest pics:

IMG_6977.jpg

IMG_6990.jpg

IMG_6981.jpg

he also got a new blue puffy vest that I will have him model later for pics. :D I just love spoiling my little man. ;) :D

Ooh I could eat him for breakfast ;) He's so worth the spoiling though isn't he? Just like my two, I only have to picture them with their big eyes and I buy stuff!

So sorry to hear he's still scratching though but hopefully it might calm down as time goes on?

Wow his hair has grown back in so quickly!! I thought the incision would be really visible for a long time after surgery. He is doing so well all around; I am sure this is a minor side effect and he'll keep improving. :)

sorry to hear that about rory, i hope that he will be ok and i send you lots of good irish luck that he will get over this and come out as healthy as ever

So sorry to hear about the scratching - I guess it could be inflammation from the surgery still?

I really hope it settles down. From memory, I think the Neurontin can take a few days to work, but then doesn't stay in the system very long, so has to be given regularly.

I really hope that Rory will do well - he looks fantastic.

Back