Thread: Teeth cleaning

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teeth cleaning

I know we desparately need to get two of our dog's teeth cleaned. At the vet yesterday, we made an appt. for our little Lhaso (he's 5) and in good health, so I'm not worried about him. But my cav, Sasha has had a couple surgeries - one to permanently tie back part of larynx, and I'm worried about a dental cleaning (i.e. anesthesia)again. Any suggestions on my worries?

Sheri R.
    Nebraska - USA

Rod Russell Guest

What is the condition of your Cavalier's heart? Does it have MVD? If so, what grade? Cavaliers with medium to high grades of MVD (3/4 to 6) normally need extra pre-operative care, such as a blood test and antibiotics, before teeth cleaning. This is because bacteria from the teeth and gums can aggravate the condition of the mitral valve. Also, the mildest form of anesthesia should be used, so that if a problem develops during the procedure, the anesthesia can be stopped quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Default teeth cleaning

No, this cav doesn't have any MVD symptoms (I lost one of my other cavs last January to MVD). I'm more worried about her previous throat surgery more than anything - thanx for the info.

Sheri R.
    Nebraksa

Rod Russell Guest

Good, for not having MVD. Then I would want the mildest form of anesthesia, so that she can be brought out of it if her vitals go haywire.

Post Thanks / Like

What did the vet say about whether she was more at risk during anesthesia due to the tie-back?
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

No it's just the mommy in me that worries anytime anyone mentions surgery. Sasha has had two surgeries - her anal glands & her laryngeal collapse. My daughter has had a left hemispherectomy (left brain hemisphere removed) a few years ago. So... I'm somewhat of a nervous wreck over surgeries as you can see icon_yikes

I'm sure she would be fine with a teeth cleaning. I guess I'll wait till our little Lhasa has his done first!

Sheri R.