• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Feeding and Young Pups

Fi

Hi i started this as my Lady is haveing soft Poo's, i would of thought they would be a tad harder by now, and listening to some problems my clients have had im wondering if it is the food, i feed her on Red Mills puppy food.

The day i had serious problems i did find her eating the adult food which is way too heavy for her.

we now supervise the feeding.

however one of the members here says she gies the dogs bran, im wondering if she can tell me what brand and where i can get it, as maybe this will solve my problems nuntill she can go on adult food.

My other 2 dogs have no problems on this food. i had a look in Tesco's today to see what other food was on the market, but other then tins of pedagree puppy food i drew a blank for pups.

Any ideas or sugestions welcome

thanks in advance.

Hi, Fi. When Cedar was younger, she had runny stools, too. She was on Nutri-Source Puppy. After having some problems with anal glands, we changed her over to Wellness Puppy, though I know elsewhere that Karlin says that puppies dont really need puppy food. Adult food is fine for them, apparently.

Anyway, after changing to Wellness, Cedar's stools firmed up and we havent had any problems since then. I also noticed that giving her carrots as treats helped firm her stools.

Aside note: Not only are firmer stools more comfortable for the dogs, I've found them much easier to clean up!!! ;)

i also read while browsing on feeding pups today taht you should not let your vet empty your pups glands untill at least they are 6 months old and if you can get to a year with out it being done then you will have far less problems in the dogs later life.

they said that pups who have thier glands expressed before the age of 1 need it done far more then if left alone and they loose the ability to do it naturally.

also some scooting is just for pleasure as it feels nice to the dog / pup, and other times its to leave a scent.. not always a case that they glands need emptying.

I am running out of puppy food and a decissionhas to be made!! i have to get my supplier over as he has to deliver me some more adult food too..

I would try something like Burns mini bites - this is suitable for pups and active adult Cavaliers and should prodcue firm poos.

The bran I use is just one from the health food store - I think it was Jordans. Basically the proper bran, not one made into a cereal.

I've had a lot of trouble with Max's bowels being too soft. You could try a different food. Which I did but I finally picked a single source protein and single carb. Natural Balance Potatoe & Duck. This has helped PLUS what has really helped is a heaping tablespoon of canned pumpkin. Plain pumpkin not pumpkin pie. It does wonders and is good for them too.

I wouldn;t feed anything sold in Tesco or any supermarket except Butchers tinned food from time to time.

Red Mills is generally an OK food and I know lots of Irish breeders feed it (however I do not know their protein sources and therefore don;t feed it myself -- a lot of the protein for animal food comes from sick, diseased or fallen animals and from heads, ground beaks, feathers, legs etc rather than human-grade protein. If poos are continuing to be soft I'd try something else. I feel strongly as do many breeders that puppy food is the problem, not the solution -- it is actually very nutrient-rich and I think way too much for puppies generally. Obviously this is an individual choice but I have posted to another thread about making food choices. I'd also recommend Burns, or else Royal Canin or James Wellbeloved, and I'd be feeding the adult food but on a puppy feeding schedule. You can break some weetabix in to add fibre or grate some carrot. But of course this should be as part of the total meal portion, not added on top of the regular portion.

There are also several homecooked food recipes in the Caring for Your cavalier section. About 75% of what my two eat are either homecooked meals or raw chicken necks. Right now it is a boiled chicken stew with cabbage, celery, parsley and carrot; checken bioled for about 4-5 hours then carefully removed from the bones (many of whcih are very small). I also sometimes bake a chicken or turkey leg then remove meat and mix with raw pulversied or cooked veg.

Thanks for all that, today Lady had a mixture, her breakfast was puppy food adn her lunch and tea was adult food, i guess this cant be good for mixing it, but again there was about 2 drops of blood in her poo, but it was more solid

Just found this on teh web, what you think?
this is the break down of the food i ahve Cloe and MAx on?

Your search is over, Leader Supreme is just what it says. It is the very best pre p a red complete food that you can give your dog. The 14% oil content gives extra energy to dogs that have a higher activity level and combined with the oat content, gives the added sparkle that distinguishes a dog fed on Leader Supreme is the ideal diet for the show dog and for the dog who lives indoors and who re p resent your family to you friends.

• Contains Fish Oils which balance the fatty acids, Omega 3 and 6 oils promoting a healthy shiny coat, health and vitality.

• Balanced for all vitamins, minerals and trace elements.

• Wheat Gluten free, and is suitable for dogs requiring sensitive diets.

• Exceptionally palatable to appeal to the “fussy” eater.

• Packed with top quality ingredients to ensure that your dog looks and feels its best.

• Designed to satisfy the nutritional needs and appetite of dogs.

• Contains FOS and MOS for optimal gut health and a boosted immune system.

• Free from beef and lamb.

• Contains Creatine and Betaine to promote muscle power as part of a healthy exercise regime .

• Highly digestible for low stool volume

• Exceptionally palatable to appeal to the "fussy" eater

• Packed with top quality ingredients to ensure that your dog looks and feels its best.

• 14% oil for superb coat and extra energy.

• Highly digestible for low stool volume

• Exceptionally palatable to appeal to the "fussy" eater

• 14% oil for superb coat and extra energy.

Raw Protein 22.00%, Raw fat 14 .00%, Raw fibre 2.50%, Raw ash 9.00%, Moisture Content 10.00%, Calcium 1.4%, Phosphorus 0.8%, Sodium 0.4%, Magnesium 0.1%, Iron 75 mg/kg, Zinc 70 mg/kg, Copper (Sulphate) 15 mg/kg, Vitamin A 12.000 iu/kg, Vitamin D3 1.500 iu/kg, Alpha-Tocophero (Vitamin E) 200 mg/kg, Energy 16.50 mj/kg

Woody is having soft stools at the moment, they vet has suggested Sensitive biscuits, then Chappies meat which is easily digestable if that doesn't work, we did have problems with colitis when we first got him, but was fine until 5 days okay.... when we bought him home he was on Eukanuba but they thought may have gotten to rich for him....

you know i think in my old age i am going soft, as my memory is not what it should be.....

i think i have found out the reason for the soft poos...... I cought her suckling of Cloe last ngiht and Cloe was quite happy to let her, she has no teats left to speak off and i do not know if she is doing this for comfort or if she is actually drinking, its hard to tell.....

When i was breast feeding, the babies poo was soft untill they started to eat solids. maybe this is a cause.

Back