• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Microchipping

Jo B

Just wondering what age you would chip a pup at?

My vet keeps asking me to get Tara done but as she is so petite I would like to wait a while, she is still only a baby, the other two dogs were done at about 4 months old

Any ideas icon_nwunsure

We had Cedar chipped about a month after her rabies shot. We did not use any anesthetic or anything, and she did not even give a little welp. She acted like she didnt feel a thing. Then, of course, she had her nails done, and she acted like she was dying. <rolls eyes>

It's a comfort knowing she's chipped, especially when she started becoming more independent. When she became a bigger flight risk (even though she never has run away, thank goodness!), it was nice to know that she had the chip should she ever really get away.

Pixie was chipped when she was spayed at 6 months. From what i'm told, the "chip" is only about the size of a grain of rice.

Interestingly, if you had got Tara on Jan 1 or after in Ireland, the breeder would have had to do this as it is required for any IKC registered dog that it be chipped with the breeder's details. Then you can add your contact info to the database. This will make it nice and easy in future (but of course wasn't required before Jan 1)!

What I would do is wait til you have her spayed -- then do it at that time. She will be out anyway and they can do it as a package. I had both my fellows chipped when they were neutered. icon_thumbsup

Dudley was also microchipped before he came home with us.
The breeder took care of this.

Our vets do it at the second injection, which was 12 weeks. The needle is the scary thing the actual chip is the size of a grain of rice. They did make a noise, but had a Smacko after and were fine.

I know I just couldnt hold out til the 1st of Jan 8) 8) waiting until December was long enough icon_whistling

The needle is very big , bigger than Tara even thou the chip is tiny

Thats also another reason why I asked I need to send on the change of owner to the IKC

I will wait til I get her spayed thanks icon_thumbsup icon_flowers

Where I live in NSW Australia it is mandatory for a dog to be sold microchipped. So I am not sure how old they are when it was done- my girls were 11 weeks and 16 weeks old when we got them. Then the names are transferred after. All this information is handled by our local councils and you can be fined if they are not registered. It is a good idea I think.
Julie and the girls

We chip all our puppies about a week before they go to their forever homes, at the same time they are getting their check-up. When we had our first dog chipped, she let out a scream I don't ever want to hear again (that's a BIG needle). So now we have the vet do just a little local anesthetic before chipping the pups. For us, the cost is included in the puppy cost, as we feel microchipping is very important and we want to be sure it gets done.

Julie, I recently attended a seminar on the NSW scheme given by several Irish vets, as it is considered a model by many!! We would love to get such a scheme introduced here.

Back