Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adult Food for Pups

Post Thanks / Like

Default Adult Food for Pups

Hi all,
    I have bought adult Royal Canin today because of the advise I've been reading on this forum. I am feeding Twinkle the puppy version at the moment but I am wary about it's fat content and growth hormones (for want of a better phrase!). The trouble is I don't know what measures to give her. Can anybody give me some advice on this?
    Thanks,
    Joanna

Post Thanks / Like

I know exactly what you mean. I am feeding Lady Royal Canin Adult also and I never quite know how much to give her. Also she is overweight and I have tried so hard to get it down. I give her less than half of a cup (the cup that is provided with the RC) and I dont know whether I am overdoing it or starving her. She always seems hungry but of course she could eat for Ireland so thats not really a help.

I would love to get an answer to this also and please try to respond by way of the cup provided by RC so I can gauge exactly how much is right.
    Edel
    I love you Lady

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk - try the website, they have a contact bit so you could email them or else have a look through the site, my system is slow at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that karlin. I've had a look and they obviously advise you to feed the puppy food up to 10 months. The puppy food advises approx 90 grammes a day (split into three) The adult food advises 105 per day based on an adult weight of 6kilos and 80 based on 4 kilos. I'll have to measure out both when I get home and see how they compare.
    Joanna

Post Thanks / Like

If you are feeding a high quality food , you do not need to feed puppy food !! I am a distributor for Life's Abundance . Its a all natural HUMAN grade food with fruits and veggies and no preservatives or by products . Its an all stage food so its good from puppies thru senior . I think I was reading lauras website and she also has some very good info on why you dont need puppy food ! In fact .....it even voids her warranty . You can look up her site , its Roycroft Cavaliers and look under care and feeding

Post Thanks / Like

I have always fed my cavaliers Royal Canin, and now they have removed the Lite Mini from all the pet stores in my state. They still seem to carry breed specific, but no mini lite. So, I'm trying Natural Balance - D. Van Patten Reduced Caloric brand and hope it's as good of a food. B/C one of my cavs is very overweight (she came to our house overwgt) and my other cav has had throat surgery, I have to keep my kibble small & flat.

Sheri Ramirez

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. We've been weaning her on to the adult stuff since yesterday and it seems to be going down well because Kelvin just told me she was picking it out forst when he fed her. Hopefully now her tummy will get a little better becasue she has been very loose. I've been using the junior measurement on the cup rather than the adult.
    Joanna

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That wasn't me making the response before but csprice.

In general each puppy is very different. I fed about 1 cup food total of whastever I was feeding, split into smaller meals, while Jaspar was a puppy. These days he gets less than that -- maybe 2/3rds to 3/4ths of a cup, or three raw chicken necks daily. Leo is smaller but has a higher metabolism so he gets a fraction more food.

There's excellent advice on feeding cavaliers including the amounts to feed puppies here:

http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I feed the Natural Balance and I have been very pleased with the results - I would have to say that it is my far the best of the brands that I tried (at least for my dogs)
    Janet V.
    Heritage Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

im sorry and i know i have asked this before but I just dont get the cup measurements. The cups that come with Royal Canin are huge and 1 whole cup or even half a cup seems like a huge amount to feed.

So can anyone tell me in terms of handfulls how much I should feed. I was recommended 1 heaped handful and i am doing that over the last few days. I dont know if Im starving my dog r what. Remember she is overweight so im trying to get her weight down.
    Edel
    I love you Lady