Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adult Food for Pups

Post Thanks / Like

Karlin,

I presume you just get the chicken necks from your butcher. Every Wednesday, my butcher will have a small bag of bones for the dogs for me free of charge. Do you buy the chicken necks or are they something they throw out like the bones? Just wondering if he'll think i'm gone mad if i ask him for chicken necks.

Post Thanks / Like

The only butchers that i've found chicken necks in is in Moore St, don't know how much they are but they're quite cheap. None of our local butchers do them.
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Edel,
    How old is your pup? I've been giving twinkle two eggcupfulls 4 times a day supplementing two of these feeds with about a tablespoon of poached chicken breast. She's ten weeks old tomorrow.
    Joanna

Post Thanks / Like

Lady is one this month. Am I underfeeding her. If i am she doesnt look it
    Edel
    I love you Lady

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Royal Canin book in front of me. The measurements for the adult mini are as follows:
    No exercise: 130grammes per day
    <1 hour exercise: 145grammes per day
    >2 hours exercise: 160grammes per day

You could opt for the mini light food where if they are slighly overweight you give 130 grammes per day.

This is based on an adult weight of 8 kilos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Edel, ask Tom when you see him and he can give you advice. When I say 'cups' I am talking actual measuring cups you buy for cooking. Use the measures marked on the Royal Canin cup. Note that 1 hour exercise really means exercise -- not just playing around outside or in the house but vigorous exercise like a walk or playing fetch etc. Few cavaliers would get an hour of exercise daily unless people are real walking fanatics!

I get raw chicken necks from either of two butchers on Moore Street who carry them. I buy a couple of kilos, divide into bags of 18 necks each (that's three meals for both dogs), and freeze. My boys each get three necks for a meal and are fed one meal daily. Of course you want to feed other things than necks alone! Also you want to make sure the dog crunches them well and doesn;t gulp the whole thing as they need to crush them a bit.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karlin
    Also you want to make sure the dog crunches them well and doesn;t gulp the whole thing as they need to crush them a bit.
    That's exactly why Cody doesn't get to share in the cats chicken neck meals, she doesn't believe in chewing or crunching - she eats like a duck
    Stephen 3 Cavs - Cody, Abigail & Jasmine, Gavin the terrier and the cats - Buffy, Kendra, Thomas, Caleb, Robin & Cadbury, the Geckos - Crane, Poole, Schmidt, Amber, Seven, Eleven, Thirteen, Ivy, Gretchen, Darcy, Ari, Zeva, Claude & Claudine, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Dov, Ronia, Netanya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They go down pretty fast over here, but they are crunched a few times! I should note that the necks are all thawed when the dogs eat them. I just freeze them in batches then thaw and feed. They love them.

That's great that the cats eat them Stephen; I only have one who will go for raw meaty bones, one who will bat them around as toys (Ambrose ), one with bad teeth who wouldn't try them, and then Quincy, who might well eat them as he eats everything and has the belly to prove it!!
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

[quote="karlin" one who will bat them around as toys (Ambrose )[/quote]

Mine are the same, they'll only actually eat them after they've grown tired of playing with them first

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Making sure the food is dead I suppose...
    Karlin