• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Adult Food for Pups

joanna

Hi all,
I have bought adult Royal Canin today because of the advise I've been reading on this forum. I am feeding Twinkle the puppy version at the moment but I am wary about it's fat content and growth hormones (for want of a better phrase!). The trouble is I don't know what measures to give her. Can anybody give me some advice on this?
Thanks,
Joanna

I know exactly what you mean. I am feeding Lady Royal Canin Adult also and I never quite know how much to give her. Also she is overweight and I have tried so hard to get it down. I give her less than half of a cup (the cup that is provided with the RC) and I dont know whether I am overdoing it or starving her. She always seems hungry but of course she could eat for Ireland so thats not really a help.

I would love to get an answer to this also and please try to respond by way of the cup provided by RC so I can gauge exactly how much is right.

Thanks for that karlin. I've had a look and they obviously advise you to feed the puppy food up to 10 months. The puppy food advises approx 90 grammes a day (split into three) The adult food advises 105 per day based on an adult weight of 6kilos and 80 based on 4 kilos. I'll have to measure out both when I get home and see how they compare.
Joanna

If you are feeding a high quality food , you do not need to feed puppy food !! I am a distributor for Life's Abundance . Its a all natural HUMAN grade food with fruits and veggies and no preservatives or by products . Its an all stage food so its good from puppies thru senior . I think I was reading lauras website and she also has some very good info on why you dont need puppy food ! In fact .....it even voids her warranty . You can look up her site , its Roycroft Cavaliers and look under care and feeding :)

I have always fed my cavaliers Royal Canin, and now they have removed the Lite Mini from all the pet stores in my state. They still seem to carry breed specific, but no mini lite. So, I'm trying Natural Balance - D. Van Patten Reduced Caloric brand and hope it's as good of a food. B/C one of my cavs is very overweight (she came to our house overwgt) and my other cav has had throat surgery, I have to keep my kibble small & flat.

Sheri Ramirez

Thanks everyone. We've been weaning her on to the adult stuff since yesterday and it seems to be going down well because Kelvin just told me she was picking it out forst when he fed her. Hopefully now her tummy will get a little better becasue she has been very loose. I've been using the junior measurement on the cup rather than the adult.
Joanna

That wasn't me making the response before but csprice. :)

In general each puppy is very different. I fed about 1 cup food total of whastever I was feeding, split into smaller meals, while Jaspar was a puppy. These days he gets less than that -- maybe 2/3rds to 3/4ths of a cup, or three raw chicken necks daily. Leo is smaller but has a higher metabolism so he gets a fraction more food.

There's excellent advice on feeding cavaliers including the amounts to feed puppies here:

http://www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

I feed the Natural Balance and I have been very pleased with the results - I would have to say that it is my far the best of the brands that I tried (at least for my dogs)

im sorry and i know i have asked this before but I just dont get the cup measurements. The cups that come with Royal Canin are huge and 1 whole cup or even half a cup seems like a huge amount to feed.

So can anyone tell me in terms of handfulls how much I should feed. I was recommended 1 heaped handful and i am doing that over the last few days. I dont know if Im starving my dog r what. Remember she is overweight so im trying to get her weight down.

Karlin,

I presume you just get the chicken necks from your butcher. Every Wednesday, my butcher will have a small bag of bones for the dogs for me free of charge. Do you buy the chicken necks or are they something they throw out like the bones? Just wondering if he'll think i'm gone mad if i ask him for chicken necks. :oops:

The only butchers that i've found chicken necks in is in Moore St, don't know how much they are but they're quite cheap. None of our local butchers do them.

Hi Edel,
How old is your pup? I've been giving twinkle two eggcupfulls 4 times a day supplementing two of these feeds with about a tablespoon of poached chicken breast. She's ten weeks old tomorrow.
Joanna

I have the Royal Canin book in front of me. The measurements for the adult mini are as follows:
No exercise: 130grammes per day
<1 hour exercise: 145grammes per day
>2 hours exercise: 160grammes per day

You could opt for the mini light food where if they are slighly overweight you give 130 grammes per day.

This is based on an adult weight of 8 kilos.

Edel, ask Tom when you see him and he can give you advice. When I say 'cups' I am talking actual measuring cups you buy for cooking. Use the measures marked on the Royal Canin cup. Note that 1 hour exercise really means exercise -- not just playing around outside or in the house but vigorous exercise like a walk or playing fetch etc. Few cavaliers would get an hour of exercise daily unless people are real walking fanatics!

I get raw chicken necks from either of two butchers on Moore Street who carry them. I buy a couple of kilos, divide into bags of 18 necks each (that's three meals for both dogs), and freeze. My boys each get three necks for a meal and are fed one meal daily. Of course you want to feed other things than necks alone! Also you want to make sure the dog crunches them well and doesn;t gulp the whole thing as they need to crush them a bit.

karlin said:
Also you want to make sure the dog crunches them well and doesn;t gulp the whole thing as they need to crush them a bit.

That's exactly why Cody doesn't get to share in the cats chicken neck meals, she doesn't believe in chewing or crunching - she eats like a duck :lol:

They go down pretty fast over here, but they are crunched a few times! :) I should note that the necks are all thawed when the dogs eat them. I just freeze them in batches then thaw and feed. They love them.

That's great that the cats eat them Stephen; I only have one who will go for raw meaty bones, one who will bat them around as toys (Ambrose :roll: ), one with bad teeth who wouldn't try them, and then Quincy, who might well eat them as he eats everything and has the belly to prove it!! :lol:

[quote="karlin" one who will bat them around as toys (Ambrose :roll: )[/quote]

Mine are the same, they'll only actually eat them after they've grown tired of playing with them first :roll:

Back