• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

****Sign this anti puppy farm petition! Help us in Ireland!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Board member TKC (Tara) and LisaW of Dog Training Ireland are organising this petition to present to Minister Roche. Anyone can sign!! You needn't be Irish (though sure everyone is a *little* bit Irish anyway... :) ).

http://www.dogtrainingireland.ie/news_working_group_petition.php

Also -- consider coming with your dog to protest outside the Dail on Thursday Feb 23rd, 5pm!! I should be there as long as I am not travelling for work! icon_banana

Karlin
I also signed it, although I live in Canada I consider myself a tad irish.

I am so on your side here I hate what these people stand for, I have signed the petition and so has my husband. Good luck with your protest. let us know how it goes cavtiny cavtiny icon_thumbsup

I will know tomorrow. There's some behind the scenes stuff happening and it might not be necessary. :) Or it might definitely be necessary, in which case we'll go into full organising mode. icon_thumbsup

The demo is on!!

<ore details tomorrow. Bring your dogs if possible (and bags for cleaning up after them...). Friends, relatives, all welcome! The petition will be handed in to the Minister as part of the demo in support of bringing in puppy farm legislation.

Hi Everyone,

The Demo is going ahead and we would love to see you all there with your dogs and in numbers.

Karlin has been working behind the scenes with a number of people on this too and we hope it all comes together for the good of the dogs. We have to stop it now.

The Minister needs encouragement to move on this. The topic must be highlighted as it is starting to fade in the background.

We hope to meet lots of you there with plenty of cavvies :)

I have signed the petition, Karlin. Sorry I wasn't able to be with you on Thursday, but hope it went well.

Thanks to all who signed the petition! Here's an update on what happened:

Depsite the terrible weather -- drizzly rain!! -- we had a great turnout. About 40-50 people-plus were there throughout the one-hour demo, which makes for a good-sized protest group by any measure here, and we had a big group of dogs. Our 'spokesdog' was Shannon, a puppy farm breeding bitch golden lab, who looks shocking due to bad treatment but is a game girl for getting out and meeting people and other doglets. She was enjoying herself and was in a little t-shirt to keep herself warm! My two, Jaspar and Leo, did meet and greet duty too though I had to carry them so they could be seen. :)

We had people on all four street corners handing out flyers and we cornered many TDS (MPs) on their way in and out of the Dail. We also had a few TDs who came along and were out talking to the protesters including the head of the Green Party Trevor Sargeant (the only political party with an animal welfare policy position). Fromer deputy PM and foreign minister Dick Spring came and stood with me for a while with three people he brought along. :D We had a continuous stream of thumbs-ups and honking from car drivers, bus drivers (the Dail is on a major bus route), and even the binmen. LOL So the public DO CARE and this was a reminder to draw on their strength by keeping this issue public.

We had a good show from TV and print media and we made the 9pm national TV news on national broadcaster RTE (our #1 goal) as well as a big spread the next day in the largest national paper the Irish Independent plus the Irish Star and the Herald Metro. The papers all highlighted the plight of Shannon.

We are very pleased with the turnout, publicity, and return of this issue to the mainstream news and plan to keep the pressure up til the government gets legislation in place. I am currently very positive this will happen and will let everyone know how this develops. Ireland is a major source of puppy farm cavaliers for the UK, Europe and especially the US so shutting them down is a personal mission as it is for all of us involved in this campaign, all with a love of different breeds and dogs generally.

WOW a big well done to everyone involved, that's fantastic.

Thank you everyone for all your hard work, you really brought the media attention back onto this issue, which is what is needed.

Back